Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I've got your bulkheads.

While I'm holding your coral I'll see if I can clean them up of aptasia. A day each with my CBB might work...

I know I know they have really got out of hand this past two months.Made me really debate getting peppermints again. I didn't realize they did so much. I think I'm going to get that zapper Paul b builds on reef sanctuary. I don't like shrimps and I like lots of lps and well obvious tank size limits a copper band. I'm still iffy with the Filefish and well tank size again. Zappers seem to be working well just a little more work. I could build my own, still might but Paul's looks really spiffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Lookin good Tyler. Whats your plans for livestock? That would look cool plugged with zoas.

I have an Idea for rock work but other then that I'm not sure. I really like the green wrasse at tp but don't think it will fit. Maybe a fire fish. I'm still working on getting the plumbing to not leak.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Thats a pretty small tank for any wrasse. Firefish can be jumpers too so take that into consideration. I also like tailspot blennys, coral gobys and rainfords gobys.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Thats a pretty small tank for any wrasse. Firefish can be jumpers too so take that into consideration. I also like tailspot blennys, coral gobys and rainfords gobys.
I agree for the wrasse but I can dream. I'm thinking the 14" canopy should stop him and also thinking about the mesh from brs. Coral gobys are nice. There's lots of options just hard to pick.

Last edited by zum14; 12-12-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 AM

YAY! Finally leak free. Thanks to Whatcaneyedo again, got another bulkhead from him tonight and slapped it in. Fixed the piping and once dry let er rip.

Please excuse the smegglies from cutting the plumbing to fix up the overflow. Will drain, give everything a wipe down and should taste salty tomorrow. All I can say is I think I have a herbie overflow now because this is the quietest tank Ive had in a long time, since freshwater with no overflow really. No bubbles getting thrown into the sump either. Thats nice and huge for keeping the microbubbles down till I get the filter socks (the tank is running in the pic you see of the sump) . Hoping to throw the rock in it tomorrow and get the structure built up. Oh and I realize the plug behind the tank is not GFCI but will be changed over tomorrow before the tank is set in its final place. I have a sealed plywood back for it to seperate the tank from the drywall.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

That zapper that you want to buy can be made for around $20. Sure the one for $95 looks cool but it's just gonna sit under your stand when not in use.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
That zapper that you want to buy can be made for around $20. Sure the one for $95 looks cool but it's just gonna sit under your stand when not in use.
I know I know I'm just a crow somedays..... Oooh look! Shiney! Mine! ...... It's worse somedays the others. I'll probably build one like yours. I think I even have a couple transformers kicking around too.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 AM

So its a little cloudy still but I got pretty close to what i was shooting for with the rocks today, got one crab and one large bristle worm out, i went over every rock with a fine tooth comb and had to club soda one or two to get the buggers out but hopefully I dealt with the problem. Ill keep a close eye on it still. I didnt end up securing with zip ties or epoxy as I just used a hammer and chisel and made the rocks shaped how I wanted so they would fit together well. Ill get better pics when the waters clear and I have some lights above them.

View from the kitchen into the living room.

Front view. I was able to utilize the cave in this rock.

View from the living room towards the kitchen

Im pretty happy with the shelves and nooks I was able to get for lots of corals to be stuck into, also I seem to have been able to create a bunch of different lighting areas. Ill have to re evaluate when I get a proper light on the tank for that though. I dont think the wife is too happy with the skimmer air intake noise so the stand may get skinned sooner rather then later. Dont bother me much. Only problem im having now is I should of done one more baffle....microbubbles from the skimmer outlet. Going to have to come up with a solution for that and the skimmer pump may need some foam or something below it for a bit of noise dampening. I saw one article on a guy that used a certain foam on the edge of some baffling and was able to just push the baffle in place and the foam wedged it in there, had to be a certain foam to do it. Might work for both problems..... hmmm.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:43 PM

So a bit of an update on this tank. Dont get too excited this isnt the final look. I have a bunch of trimming and theres a couple of corals going out for trade, some going to get hacked up a little smaller. Its tough dealing with a small landscape. I am enjoying the level of maintenance on a smaller system. Water top up is crutial. I wont be getting any fish or inverts still my controller arrives and I can set up my auto top off. Topping up every night is getting a bit tiring. So ya ordered an apex lite, bunch of float switches, everything should be here by next weekend so i can get it all set up. Ive been looking at maybe bushing my mag 7 down to a 1/4" line and seeing if it will pump up from my basement. From the flow charts it looks like it should and I cant really see the large restriction on the out line causing an issue as its kind of the same as a ball valve or similar. Test is conducted tonight or tomorrow night. Couple pics. Im going to wait till I get my full rock back before submitting a pic to the full tank shot thread. ( One large piece is cooking with the leftover rocks as I wasnt able to get the two crabs out and wasnt going to take any chances this time. Thats why it looks like its missing something.)

And I know the coral colors are not there, I know, I just spent a good chunk of change on the controller so Im making due with a couple of 36" hagen t5 fixtures with hagen bulbs. There on top of the stand so there like 14" away from the tank and just look terrible. Light is next on the list.

Last edited by zum14; 01-06-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Looking good great job on the tank and stand.

360 Reef Tank
Old 01-07-2011, 12:09 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I have to say I am impressed you managed to fit a Television in there!

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.