Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM

piusma is on a distinguished road

I had a Kole tang that is very aggressive with feeding and chases pretty much EVERY fish in my tank. It also gets very aggressive with it's own reflection. I believe he was a full size adult and I had to remove him to restore the peace in my tank. My tank is a 180 gallon and it wants to keep it all to himself!
Steven
Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

I have a nice atlantic blue eyed tang, nice little fish, don't see them around much either.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM

notclear is on a distinguished road

I have a lawnmower blenny, a yellow tang, a powder blue tang and a tomini tang in my tank. They all get along fine.
160G (72"x22"x23.5") Mixed Reef, 30G Sump/Refugium, Vertex Illumina SR1800 LED Fixture, Reefbrite 60" & 72" actinic, Nanobox Tide and Reefbrite LED for frag sump, Vertex Alpha Cone 200 Skimmer with cleaner, ATB Flowstar 1500 Return Pump on 2 x APC Smart-UPS 1500, ATB Flowstar 4200 with OM4 Closed Loop, 2 Phosban Reactors for Carbon and GFO, Profilux SA3 Doser, Tunze Nano Wavebox, Tunze 6085, Jebao RW15, Rena LG100 Auto Feeder, Profilux Breeze 4 fans, Apex Controller, and Vertex RO/DI.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts... Guess I should re-consider about getting a Kole for now as I really do like my lawnmower blenny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
My Kole and Lawn mower do pester each other. But it's not in what I'd call a bad way. It's almost as if they play together, from what I've seen when the blenny's had enough he let's the kole know it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly View Post
My kole terrorizes my lawnmower, the lawnmower has to get creative to get at its grazing , it hides mostly because of the kole. My kole isnt even that big, may just be him though.
My lawnmover blenny is at least 4" long... I made one mistake once and that was to have two lawnmover blennys. Only one survived . Will a small-med Kole still harrass a blenny that is bigger in size or will the blenny dominate a small/med Kole?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
most bristle tooth tangs seem to have a general dislike towards blennies and gobies......we had a chevron in the display tank at the old shop that hated the orange spot diamond goby that was in with him and my chevron used to take runs at my shrimp goby.....he doesnt do it now that I have a pair of shrimp gobies....strength in numbers I guess....
I had a Tomini not long ago and seemed to have gotten along with my blennys but the blennys were only 2-3" long then. My lawnmover is now over 4" long and fat as ever... will the blenny take on and dominate any bristle tooth or vise versa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry View Post
My Kole tang and Tail spot blenny get along fine. Even hang out at the same end of the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandosh View Post
I had a kole and a starry blenny that got along fine.
Are other blennys just as good a grazer as a lawnmover? May consider making a blenny change in the future if I still want a Kole...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

My Kole gets ****y if he spots any fish doing a grazing-like motion. He loves dive-bombing my diamond watchman but the watchman is too fast and is back to his thing in seconds. I'd say he's a bit of a jackass in general but doesn't chase... just likes to dart at some of the fish if I'm close to the tank (might feed it).
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

Convict Tang or Clown Tang.

I'm getting both.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Got a Purple and Regal, neither one is interested in the lawnmower blenny.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripenfelter View Post
Convict Tang or Clown Tang.

I'm getting both.
At 15" and a recommended 250g or larger for a clown tang. The OP would have to have a large tank. As would you with your 4 tangs already. Of which, 2 of them will get to the 14" range.

Also the survival rate on a clown tang is quite low. And they are one of the most aggressive tangs.

Last edited by parkinsn; 08-15-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Lets start with a tank size before we recommend half the ocean guys .