Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Help me decide

I'm in the middle of designing a new tank. I'm going to have it dividing my kitchen and living room. I'm not too sure of the overall dimensions yet. I have it narrowed down to 5 or 6 feet long, 24-30" wide, 20" high, eurobraced, 3 sides starphire. I'm trying to decide on whether I want a center overflow or a coast to coast on the short end of the tank against the wall. Also... how far from the top of the tank not including the eurobracing should I have the weir of the overflow? I was thinking 1/2 because I'm not planning huge flow to my sump and the eurobracing would also add another half inch of height too. I would like the tank to be as full as possible without the danger of an inevitable flood. Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

My vote goes for overflow against the wall and I would go at least 1"-1.5"
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinktooth View Post
My vote goes for overflow against the wall and I would go at least 1"-1.5"
2nd that and would go with 30" Deep if not in the way of anything as more depth makes the tank look and feel bigger to you and the fish,more room to create a 3D scape.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Hey stinktooth your tank is awesome! How long have you had it running and are you happy with the dimensions? Can you post some sump pics? How tall is your stand? I think I might go with your dimensions. Maybe 30 wide if I go with a center overflow. My tank is gonna be viewable from both long sides and one short side.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

My vote after hating internal overflows for years: coast to coast on the end against the wall. Internal overflows are the devil. They mess up flow patterns, create dead spots, are ugly as sin, make aquascaping harder, and make your tank look smaller.

Also, go with the biggest tank you can afford to maintain. If you get a 5 footer, you'll probably wish you got a 6 footer after a year.

I'm also partial to wide tanks. 30 inches gives you a lot more floor space to play with
Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 AM

Been messing around on sketchup. I'm a noob but these are two rough sketches I came up with. The size would be 66"x24"wx20h. The overflow is 6". eurobraced

This is the other design. 72"x30"wx20h 10x5overflow eurobraced

Last edited by Skimmin; 10-23-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 AM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

I like the 1st design with the 2nd dimensions of course given that you have the space for it.
Who is building your tank? ,...if its Concept Aquariums they will do the designs for you.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:08 AM

I had a custom built by Gary Lou(not sure if thats how to spell his last name)about six years ago. It turned out great and the craftsmanship was bang on top notch. I was thinking I might go with him again. In regards to the dimensions... Here's the reason I'm considering these sizes. I have two gen 2 xr30w's and really don't want to drop another wad of cash on another one. Also with these being an older model I'm gonna be more inclined to sell these and buy three new ones. The other thing is in a 24" deep tank, anything above 60% I could scortch the flesh off softies. I have always had tanks with lots of coral and a few fish. This time I would like to go with more fish and a few choice coral to let grow in. I guess im trying to use some of what I have and not break the bank with this upgrade I know... its not possible... by the time i add powerheads, skimmer, etc.............

Last edited by Skimmin; 10-23-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 AM

Stinktooth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Hey stinktooth your tank is awesome! How long have you had it running and are you happy with the dimensions? Can you post some sump pics? How tall is your stand? I think I might go with your dimensions. Maybe 30 wide if I go with a center overflow. My tank is gonna be viewable from both long sides and one short side.
Thanks for the kind words.
I have only had my tank running since about August 20th. I transferred my old tanks to this one when I moved. I'm very happy with the dimensions 72l x 28w x 18h. Stand is 78l x 40w x 32h. Leaves a 6" ledge around 3 sides of the tank. I can reach the bottom anywhere in the tank without standing on anything. I prefer the look of a shallow tank. I can also keep acros on the sand.
For your tank I wouldn't consider a center overflow. Asylumdown hit the nail on the head. You should also consider what you will be using for powerheads. With a coast to coast you wouldn't be able to use a vortech pumps on that end.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Personally, peninsula tanks are my favourite, and because of the flow challenges I would be considering a closed loop or two rather than powerheads.

Are you planning a canopy or open top?

I would not ruin the clean, open look of a peninsula tank by putting a central overflow in the tank. Corals have a tendency to get "windswept" looking in peninsula tanks with the overflow on one end though because it tends to get a gyre flow - especially when you're trying to get any surface scum to come back to the overflow. Peninsula tanks always look best with no powerheads on the glass, and only positioned on the overflow end, but this makes random flow even tougher. This is why I would suggest the closed loop.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-23-2014 at 04:06 PM.