Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-20-2014, 05:21 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com View Post

Best dry rock you will ever find and I think they are based in Calgary and do Canada wide delivery..lol...Any time you want just let me know and we could pick any rock you want.

lol ELI shame on you
Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
lol ELI shame on you
I feel like someone is stocking me...mods help please...someone is after my rocks..
Old 10-21-2014, 04:04 AM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

Okay, it has been a while since i actually posted anything other than random questions as seen above. To be honest i haven't been super enthusiastic about the hobby the last while, life has been crazy and the tank kind of fell off as far as being able to maintain and grow. The last little bit I have been itching to take the tank to the next level, an actual tank upgrade is not an option at this point so looking more to tackle things like new scape, more corals, get rid of some corals that seem to be taking over??? The wanted to venture into the SPS a little more will probably require a lighting upgrade at some point too, but the cost of some of those lights out there is a little daunting but I'm sure there are some other options out there too. A few thoughts I'm working through right now are, figuring out what to do scape wise, and how to do it disturbing the corals as little as possible. More concerned with upsetting BTA's than corals, the corals can pretty much sit in a bucket while i re-scape. But what to add and how to do it with as little disruption to normal life in the tank.

All of the awesome tanks I see seem to run with suspended LED fixtures over an open top tank? Does this provide better light? Does evaporation become an issue with the open top? Does removing the glass help with light penetration? I would obviously need to lift the lights higher but then would get more "Spread" with them too???

As I move to more SPS, because that's what looks amazing and what people think when you say coral, im guessing i will need to start looking into dosing pumps and the like, what kind of investment am i looking at for that??? Will i have issues mixing the SPS with LPS because i love my Euphillia (sp?) corals?

And now I am rambling. Here are a few pics of what i am currently dealing with display wise, will get details on equipment and accesablilty soon.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:28 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

HEY LOOKS GOOD MAN oops caplocks . you are getting bored and want a change. I get like that. sometimes adding a cheap set of actinic will boost your thoughts on the tank. try adding a school of smaller reef fish to the tank that is a thought. add some color that will swim around wrasses, flame angel
Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM

I will admit there is a bit of bored and wanting change but I would also like to move more towards an SPS dominated reef and just more Corals in general. And more rock space will definitely allow for more options placement wise. This is also why I would be looking at lifting the lights above the tank to help get better spread light wise towards the back of the tank where I will be placing the added rock.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Okay, looking for input from those who know better than me. It will be little down the road yet but i have been looking at upgrading lights as I want to move to being able to keep more SPS in the tank. Since I am dealing with a 6 foot tank (apparently my thread title of 120g is wrong) i will need to purchase at least 2 light fixtures to light the tank effectively so my quesiton becomes... best bang fro buck...

Evergrow IT2080
or.....
160W Maxspect Razor

both seem to have some excellent reviews in several places on line, and the price points on the two fixtures are comparable most places i have found them, so just wondering what people who have seen them in action or have even used them would have to say as far as a recomendation goes.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I looked at the 160w Maxspect Razor and the Reef Breeders LED units (same as the Evergrows) as they are warrantied out of the US. After seeing a few tanks I ended up going with the Evergrows as the overall light spread seemed a bit better for my application. I did like the thinness of the Maxspects though. The pricing on the Evergrows comes in a bit better as well. All the tanks I saw the units on were growing well and no one was regretting their purchase.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Well, its Saturday morning... and that means time to re-scape the tank.... need to rearrange what i have to see what i can do and what i will want to add rock wise. Looking at my tank i have a couple of really large man made rock pieces from way back when i first hit up salty that are covered in Zoa's. My thought is zoas are pretty tough so i should be able to take a hammer and chisel and break the rock up without too much harm to the zoa's does that make sense to people? I am also thinking I have a couple frogspawn unintentional frags from the move a year ago that are getting pretty big and I should maybe frag them and or sell them once i look up reasonable private sale price and find a buyer.

Super Happy to be enjoying the tank again rather than just keeping it alive.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:02 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414259884.440349.jpg I will post a proper before/after but here is where it is headed. Everything to the left of the magnet is just there while I decide what to do next. Ideally I think I want to keep it open sand from rock to magnet and then maybe build a shelf along the side wall of tank..... Need to break up a few big rocks covered in Zoanthids still trying to decide best/safest way to do that, have a few errands need to run may look at some rock while I'm out may not haha....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2014, 01:48 AM

Took a swing by Concept and picked up some awesome rock thanks to www.fijireefrock.com for having some available there playing around with it a little tonight. I want to secure it all together before throwing it in a bucket for a few weeks so I don't throw my tank into a cycle.

Maybe something like this?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk