Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-23-2014, 05:13 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

Thats a really good point. I was considering trying two of the maxspect gyres or tunzes again. I've always ran vortechs or tunzes. With coast to coast i think i could mount the gyres or tunzes with the magnets inside the overflow. I really like the vortechs but I want this tank to be quiet as possible. No vortech 'whirring'. It's been a few years now so I'm not sure if the vortechs are quieter then they used to be. I've never had a closed loop but the holes in the bottom of the tank for it makes me kind of nervous. Also all the extra plumbing that could potentially leak. I'm not sure if that is a legitimate concern or not. I absolutely agree that I don't want any water movers/powerheads anywhere but on the back glass. I want totally unobstructed views from all three sides which would be great for a closed loop. I don't think im gonna close off the top of the tank. I might make a small 'shroud' on the rails for around the radions so theres no blinding light spillage from the sides or just below them.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
I've never had a closed loop but the holes in the bottom of the tank for it makes me kind of nervous. Also all the extra plumbing that could potentially leak. I'm not sure if that is a legitimate concern or not.

I absolutely agree that I don't want any water movers/powerheads anywhere but on the back glass. I want totally unobstructed views from all three sides which would be great for a closed loop.

I don't think im gonna close off the top of the tank. I might make a small 'shroud' on the rails for around the radions so theres no blinding light spillage from the sides or just below them.
You don't need to have a lot of holes for a closed loop. Consider each hole a powerhead. You could easily just have two holes. Ideally, you would have the current switch from one to the other to create a more random flow. Put a Loc-Line swivel end on each hole and you can point them however you want. Then you don't have to clean coralline off powerheads every few weeks, and you don't see that clutter either. A closed loop pump is easy to clean if you position it where it is easy to get to and use unions for easy removal.

When you use powerheads on a 5 or 6' peninsula and only have them on the overflow end you need a powerful powerhead to make that distance to have flow on the far end, and because of that you can't place any corals too close to the powerheads/overflow end or the flesh will get blown off! Not to mention that windswept look...

Btw, the Vortechs are still noisy. I'm a Tunze person myself since they are pointable and quiet.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I just did an upgrade to a 240 gallon, so went through some of the same questions as you are now. My tank is 96x24x24 with the back against the wall, so not the same setup as yours though.

I would go with 30 inches wide if you are going 20 inches high and going to be able to view it from 3 sides. You will be able to reach all spots in the system fairly easily, and with it being a peninsula style tank, your rock work will be limited as you won't really have a "back". If you go with a 24 inch wide tank, your rock work will be pretty "skinny", and your corals/anemones won't have far to got before they come close to the glass.

I would go with a coast to coast on the short end for the overflow. Everything that I read about center overflow's pointed to them being a major pain.

Have you considered Jebao pumps for flow? I picked up 2 for my tank and love the flow. You do get some noise that people have described as less than Vortech's though. For the price though, you can't beat them.

Last edited by ponokareefer; 10-23-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

I would do 6' with 30 wide and coast to coast overflow, have u considered building a wavebox where the overflow is and have a tunze in the wavebox for wave effect? that way you would have less pumps in your tank and a cleaner look.
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 PM

No I hadnt considered jebao. Are they comparable quality wise? Also are the available in Calgary anywhere? I'd like to see one. Never considered the wavebox either. I think the box itself is easy enough to make out of glass. Not sure if I like the quick back and forth shake/wave they make but i have no experiance with them either.

Last edited by Skimmin; 10-24-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
No I hadnt considered jebao. Are they comparable quality wise? Also are the available in Calgary anywhere? I'd like to see one. Never considered the wavebox either. I think the box itself is easy enough to make out of glass. Not sure if I like the quick back and forth shake/wave they make but i have no experiance with them either.
This canreef sponsor carries them:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=109123

I'm not aware of any stores in Alberta that sells them. I'm not sure how they compare quality wise to Tunze's. I researched them on reefcentral first and everyone seemed to love them.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:33 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If you do a wave in a peninsula tank you will have a noisy overflow because of the ebb and flow of the wave.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:34 AM

Ok well thanks for the input. I've decided I'm going with a 72Lx24Wx22H as pictured in the first picture. The tank will actually be 66 long with the overflow being internal coast to coast on the 24" end. Im going to go with two two inch drains set up as herbies and a one inch return which I am probably going to split into 4 and run down through each corner of the eurobracing. Does anyone know if the jeboa magnets are waterproof? With the style of overflow Im going with the vortechs are out of the question so its down to jeboa or tunze. I would like to try the new maxspect gyres but still dont know if more then one can be ran together opposing on the same controller.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:55 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Tank journal or it didn't happen.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Well slight change of plans I went and spoke with the boys at Concept today. I was originally going to go with the 72,24,22... It took me a whole day to decide but thanks to convincing by Matt and Dave, I've been up sold (in a good way). Those guys are great to deal with. So the tank I bought today is a 300gal 72Lx36Wx27H four side Starfire monster with a center overflow!! Lol. I'm really excited about this one! I'm thinking I'm going to try the jebao powerheads with the magnets mounted in the overflow and a jebao DC return pump. The tank is going to be on a 36" stand and I'm not totally sure on all the sump details yet but I'm gonna get that sorted in the next couple days. Thanks again for everyone's input. Much appreciated.