Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road
Default Phosphate reduction

Lots of good info in this thread and I'd like to add a few things.

The most cost effective method of lowering high phosphate levels is to use Foz Down. It is best to slowly lower the Phosphate levels as you can easily shock the corals. Recommendation is no more than 0.25mg/l per 24hr period, even better is 0.25mg/l in a 48 hr period, especially if you have sensitive corals. Phosphate levels can be easily maintained between .02mg/l and .03mg/l with Foz Down and no need to use GFO.

While on the topic of GFO there is a few negative effects of GFO on our systems. The first being that GFO releases Iron into the water which is a nutrient for macroalgaes. Second is that GFO is used in potable water systems to absorb arsenic. It also absorbs other heavy metals, sometimes known as trace metals in reefkeeping.

My preferred method of carbon dosing is to use Vodka/Vinegar. I prefer this method over biopellets as it is simpler and easier to regulate/control. Since free floating bacteria is used as a food source for the majority of corals, including acros. It is beneficial for the corals to use Vodka/Vinegar dosing as it naturally produces a food source.

If your water sample is over range(too high Phosphate level) in your tester you can dilute sample by 50% or 75% with RO/DI water and then just multiply the results by 2 or 3.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Yikes! Could you cover the overflow with a black acrylic lid? I get them made at a plastics shop here, costs about $10.

Maintenance, stocking, and feeding techniques can keep NO3 and PO4 at close to zero levels, but not everyone wants to follow that method. Biopellets are a good option - they work just fine in a TLF reactor. Most of the issues with biopellets are when people use too many. A lot of tanks that need biopellets also need GFO. I prefer biopellets over liquid carbon dosing (vodka/vinegar/NOPOX/etc) because there is less chance of bacteria film IME.

Mindy the black acrylic lid is a great idea and I will see if I can find one. I have definitely reduced and altered my feeding habits in hope to cut down on PO4. I am thinking I will get a TLF 150 reactor and run bio pellets as part of my system. ***This is why I need to finish my basement faster to transfer the 75g in to a 150g ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Lots of good info in this thread and I'd like to add a few things.

The most cost effective method of lowering high phosphate levels is to use Foz Down. It is best to slowly lower the Phosphate levels as you can easily shock the corals. Recommendation is no more than 0.25mg/l per 24hr period, even better is 0.25mg/l in a 48 hr period, especially if you have sensitive corals. Phosphate levels can be easily maintained between .02mg/l and .03mg/l with Foz Down and no need to use GFO.

I just started using the Foz Down and can add it again today. From what I have been hearing it is a great product for reduction of PO4. I'm not sure what the negative is for long term use though.

If your water sample is over range(too high Phosphate level) in your tester you can dilute sample by 50% or 75% with RO/DI water and then just multiply the results by 2 or 3.

Never thought of manipulating the water sample this way to register for testing. I'm hoping to get the phosphate down slowly and consistently to prevent any further shock.

Cheers,
Tim
[/color]
Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan
I just started using the Foz Down and can add it again today. From what I have been hearing it is a great product for reduction of PO4. I'm not sure what the negative is for long term use though.
Glad to hear you got some Foz Down locally.

I have not observed any issues with long term Foz Down usage. I have used it for at least 3 years in my acro culture system. There was a lot(30) of fish in with the acros so I had to keep the Phosphates under control. I would feed Pacifica plankton, juice and all, twice a day.

Once I started using Foz Down I never went back to GFO.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 PM

Thanks TimT for the advice! I will definitely continue to use it and stock up when o find more as the LFS only had 1 left.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:20 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Tim, are you still actively supplying Foz Down?

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Hi Mindy,

Yes, I still produce the Foz Down and sell to pet shops. For hobbyists who don't have a local store I will ship.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-19-2017, 02:35 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ah cool!

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Awesome I didn't know you supplied that stuff! If I end up not being able to find it locally I will definitely hit you up.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 PM

So this morning I found my fromia star fish had not the dust! The star had been with me for 9 months. My guess is the high phosphates slowly hacked away at him.

I'm still battling high PO4, aggressively using Foz Down and will be setting up my reactors this week (Hopefully they arrive from J&L).
Old 01-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Rog is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your losses. That sucks.

I set up the NitraGuard experiment on January 19.
Phosphate was 63 ppb
Nitrate was 20 ppm.

Tonight's test (one week later):
Phosphate: 63 ppb
Nitrate: 0

I'm not quite sure why it hasn't reduced phosphates (perhaps my rocks are leaching).

Anyone know where I can get Foz Down in Vancouver?