Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-13-2017, 04:58 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question Phosphate Reduction

Hey folks, im looking at different ways to reduce my phosphate levels in my 72g tank. Recently I have saw an increase in brown and green algae. When I tested my phosphates before my vacation they were around 2 ppm (I know this is ridiculous!). I am returning to my tank on Sunday and need to get the phosphates under control. I have a heavy bio-load from my fish and have a new skimmer (Ice Cap K2-160) waiting to be picked up.

I will eventually move the tank over to my new 150g (build will start soon) which should help. In the mean time I would like to reduce the phosphates to an acceptable limit, as close to zero. I currently do monthly water changes of 20g, blow the rocks with a powerhead and clean th sand. I currently run a carbon bag in my sump (25g). I do not have any media reactors (looking at purchasing) but I'm wondering if I should run gfo or bio pellets.

Looking for people's advice, as I don't want this to kill all my sps and zoas. I have noticed that my LPS have not been looking good (Chalice and Candy Cane) although my hammer and torch seem to be fine. Looking for any advice or suggestions to get this under control as setting up the new tank is still a couple mo this away.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:03 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

By far the best phosphate remover I've used so far is FOZ DOWN. It's a product from TimT I believe. Just a few drops every other day and it'll even get rid of that nasty red fuzzy algae that almost nothing eats (except Mexican Turbos). I LOVE it.

When I used the other phosphate remover media, I often forget to change it out often enough. With Foz Down, I just add drops as part of my routine.

Anthony
Old 01-13-2017, 06:11 AM

Rog is on a distinguished road

I'm just about to experiment with NitraGuard tomorrow. Supposedly reduces both Phosphate and Nitrate. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
By far the best phosphate remover I've used so far is FOZ DOWN. It's a product from TimT I believe. Just a few drops every other day and it'll even get rid of that nasty red fuzzy algae that almost nothing eats (except Mexican Turbos). I LOVE it.

When I used the other phosphate remover media, I often forget to change it out often enough. With Foz Down, I just add drops as part of my routine.

Anthony
Where can I get Foz Down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
I'm just about to experiment with NitraGuard tomorrow. Supposedly reduces both Phosphate and Nitrate. Will let you know how it goes.
Please do! I need something to work with
Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...t=80583&page=2

Here's a link to a thread about Foz Down.

Monocus (Bill) may be able to get some to you or contact Tim.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If I were you, I would get a second test on that PO4 with a different kit just to confirm. PO4 at 2.0 ppm is unusually high for a reef tank. I don't usually see it that high even in poorly maintained, overstocked tanks.

Either way, Lanthanum chloride products like Foz Down and others are a good option when PO4 is that high because it's usually cheaper and the rocks and sand will leach PO4 for quite awhile. Some products are much more concentrated than other products, so follow directions closely until you know how much a dose will affect your tank. If you lower PO4 too quickly you will surely cause STN or even RTN. Some people say some fish are sensitive to LC, but I haven't seen it myself. I do a bunch of small doses though instead of big ones.

GFO is tried and true. You can use it in a bag. I find if you put the bag in the overflow near the drain or under the teeth so the water falls on it it will work better. It also works better if you gently manipulate the bag a little bit (best description I can come up with lol) a couple times a week. Reactor is the best bet though, but be careful about sucking PO4 out too fast too!

Any bacteria-based systems like NOPOX, biopellets, etc will not affect PO4 enough for you to get ahead at 2.0 ppm, so I wouldn't consider that an option. What is NO3 at?

Some other things to consider...pellet and flake foods as well as seaweed and high-protein frozen foods are all high in phosphorus. Avoid anything with bones in it such as Silversides (for anemones) as bones are very high in phosphorus. Plain, frozen Brine Shrimp are one of the lowest phosphorus foods you could pick, though it is also lower in nutrition, so it's best to not be the sole source of food.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/foz-down.html lists LFS's that carry Foz-Down. The site does say that you can contact them directly if need be.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

lol.... manipulate the bag...
Old 01-14-2017, 04:48 AM

I will definitely retest once I get home on Sunday. I realized that most of my CUC have gone missing since the initital setup. I was feeding 2 PE mysis frozen cubes and 2 PE Calunus cubes (Lots of fish). I'm thinking back... I was feeding the sun coral heavily with Eco eggs and mysis. This may have contributed to higher then normal phosphates.

I'm starting to doubt the API test for phosphate though as 2ppm seems really high. Nothing worse then having to wait until your back from vacation to deal with the tank.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

As per my comment in another thread.

Get a Hanna Phosphorus Checker (HC - HI736) for Phosphate (take the result, multiple by 3.066, then divide by 1000). This is the most accurate tester for Phosphate...

oh, and also rinse the mysis after defrosting, and discard the liquid.

...and pretty much everything Mindy said too, lol!