Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-18-2017, 12:47 AM

zhasan is on a distinguished road

Nice setup! Looking forward to see the final product.

I think I've seen this setup in person. Did you happen to pick it up from a reefer by VGH?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarMeyer View Post
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/d...flow-weir-comb

Think I may have found my solution for the weir, now to figure out if I should just let the Coraline cover the back glass or have the back wall covered in flat slice cuts of rock.
I vote coraline, but then I am old school.

Another thing on the weir is if the edges are smoothed, either when made or after, say with a very small roundover bit (1/16" or so) it will increase the flow and decrease the noise by quite a bit.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 AM

OscarMeyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhasan View Post
Nice setup! Looking forward to see the final product.

I think I've seen this setup in person. Did you happen to pick it up from a reefer by VGH?
I did yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSK71 View Post
I vote coraline, but then I am old school.

Another thing on the weir is if the edges are smoothed, either when made or after, say with a very small roundover bit (1/16" or so) it will increase the flow and decrease the noise by quite a bit.

Charles
I'm leaning towards coraline as well, I'm going to order a bunch of flat rock so I will atleast have the ability to give my idea of covering the overflow with rock, nothing is set in stone just yet!

That's also very interesting information about the weir, and very much appreciated!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Do you have water in the tank yet? If not, you could install a piece of black glass on the inside of the tank, and then that weir comb can be installed on top of it. The sweet thing about black glass is that you can scrape it, unless acrylic. If you can't find black glass (it will be 6 mm), send Concept Aquariums (in Calgary) an email/call, and Dave may be able to help you locate some.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Tank is still dry, I need to raise the stand about 4" and add a solid bottom for the Sump. Glass would be the best option, but I'm weary about having two piece's of glass that close together, I'd have to make sure I silicone the edges extremely well so I didn't have water get in between the glass, like what happened to the acrylic. I found a company in Richmond that can do water just cutting, if I can find a piece of glass I might just get them to water jet the weir ontop for me.

Still looking through options.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You can "float" the silicone between the pieces...spread it evenly across the whole pane. I think that's how Concept does it, but don't quote me on that.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM

Well spent the last week cleaning the tank, still more to do but I'm happy it's starting to look brand new almost, only downside is I found two imperfections that are going to bug me, but in reality are just superficial and I know I will forget about them at some point, now I'm not sure if they were on the tank when I bought it or if they happened during me moving the tank either way it's not a big deal, and I'm glad they aren't worse then they are.

Upper left hand corner on the eurobracing;

Bottom right hand corner on the front panel;

These are tiny, I should have held something close to compare.

On the bright side I scored quite a deal on the skimmer I wanted and that gets shipped out tomorrow from a member on the island! Love new toy's!

Now Becuase I've had so much time thinking about my overflow with the acrylic, another thought has crossed my mind, I'm now thinking about cutting the middle section out, covering the hole's in the bottom of the tank and drilling the back panel for two 20" synergy reef ghost overflows plus two hole's for the returns, would allow way more space in the tank 6" to be exact! Which would be nice for aquascaping. The part that scares me would be cutting the silicone from around the internal overflow, edges wouldn't bother me it's just at the base were it meets the silicon for the side panels, and then drilling glass that is 3/4" thick is nerve racking, but the extra space is so appealing! Ahhh decisions decisions!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I love how the dogs are just as excited for the tank as you are
Old 01-25-2017, 05:49 AM

Haha, they love the fish tanks! I've caught them staring at my other tank with the clown's swimming around, quite funny watching them trying to figure it out
Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM

So I've made the decision to bite the bullet and remove the internal overflow, plug the holes in the back section and drill the back glass for a synergy shadow overflow and 2 returns.

Needles to say I'm nervous about drilling 4 holes in a 3/4" starphire panel, but 6" of extra display room is to appealing not to try. I'm also hoping that the internal overflow is notched near the bottom inside joints, but I can't tell from looking so fingers crossed.