Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrover View Post
Hi Brad,

This isn't my first time raising money. I've been in business for 20 years in Edmonton. Have you ever been to the Stollery? They have world class equipment and world class therapeutic amenities for kids or parents.

Believe me, I am not nieve and I'm not on the outside. I wouldn't be wasting my time if I didn't think we could do this. I'm a determined guy, you have no idea. A personal attack was a bit offside... But I know this wont be easy.
Tim sorry if anything came across as personal, it wasn't. As a parent of a sick child, I get a bit frustrated, I didn't intend to attack you personally, just the idea
I have no doubt you can do this, I'm just saying you shouldn't. It's not a good use of money. That's all I'm saying.
I haven't been to Stollery, but I do know of it's reputation, especially for trached kids. I know families that use their services, and one of our old RTs moved there to work. They do have a world class facility.
However, I'm sure if you talk to the staff and administration, mention you have 50k and were thinking of supplying a tank and support, or do they think it could be better spent, they would pick the better spent.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

As a sick child, I spent A LOT of time in the hospital back in the day that parents were not permitted in the room outside of visiting hours. And now, as my health deteriorates, most of my days are spent in bed. As a result, I got into aquariums and fishkeeping.

So my perspective isn't "practical" in the traditional sense but the power of an aquarium on a persons' well being is tremendous. Instead of focusing inward on the pain or suffering, I'm able to focus outward on the beauty of aquatic life.

Regardless of the equipment for physical needs, people tend to lose focus on the mental needs of the patient. The tension is high in these units from both the staff and parents. The child, unknowingly, feeds off of that stress causing actual physical harm to the healing process.

I support an aquarium for the peace of mind of the patient. Does it need to be 600 gallons? I don't know. I wish smaller tanks could be maintained in each of the rooms so that a child could redirect their thoughts outwards instead of inwards.

While it is heartwarming to see the wonderful cartoons and vistages painted on the walls of the rooms, it is entirely another thing to see and interact with a living biosphere.

Sometimes we chose utility over art only to forget that art has its' utility too. Best of luck with your project and it is a worthwhile venture.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:50 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I agree with brad 100%

I spend quit a bit of time in the hospital. I was in QT for a long time with nobody in and me not aloud out. The best thing that the hospital was able to do was supply a tv, DVD,and video games.

I would like to ask if you asked the staff and administrators there thought on this or what they really need
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
I would like to ask if you asked the staff and administrators there thought on this or what they really need
Just read post #6, he explained were he was in the process of this venture.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguinesDream View Post

Regardless of the equipment for physical needs, people tend to lose focus on the mental needs of the patient. The tension is high in these units from both the staff and parents. The child, unknowingly, feeds off of that stress causing actual physical harm to the healing process.
I agree with a lot of what you say, and especially the above comment. I've posted a couple of suggestions to reduce the stress on the parents, with utility type activities. As the parent, I can tell you this would help us a lot more than fish. I don't care about fish, I care the the Dr. just told me to be prepared for the worst. How do I not transfer that to my daughter? Fish aren't going to help.
I do agree that some sort of interaction would be great, so I suggested a biocube. Kids love Nemo, so set up a Nemo tank. Easy, cheap, maintainable.
We spent this Christmas Eve baking and soliciting Starbucks for coffee and took goodies and coffee to the staff and parents in the PEDs ICU. Pretty sure they enjoyed that more than Nemo It reduces the stress, makes the staff feel appreciated, helps the parents relax a bit knowing others know exactly what it's like to be stuck in the hospital with a sick kid. Cost me a bag of flour, some chocolate chips, a bit of gas and some time. Value= Priceless to the recipients.
Yes, the idea of a large reef on the ward is wonderful, but it's not practical. There are multiple stake holders, any one of which doing less than their part results in a total meltdown of the system. If I walked onto the ward and saw a 600g reef, I'd be awestruck. For 2 minutes. But if the hospital didn't have a 4.0 peds trach and my kid's is plugged, I'd be mad for a lot longer.
There are just so many better options to help. The tank idea is fine, but make it manageable. 50g or less. Look at some of the nanos we have posted here, they're just incredible. 600g @ 50k is wasteful and inappropriate for it's intention.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Just read post #6, he explained were he was in the process of this venture.
Ah yes. Thanks. I read the thread but must have brain lapsed as to what he said lol
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM

tgrover is on a distinguished road

SanguinesDream. Thank-you for summing up what I feel. I know this would be very important to the kids as a great distraction. I am also in a similar situation as you where I suffer with health issues and I too use my tanks as an escape from time to time.

Does it need to by 600g, no not at all. I will be working with the Stollery Foundation to figure out the best way we can help the kids in their opinion.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Arok3000 is on a distinguished road

I think it would be wise to review everything that Brad has posted and make your decisions from there. He has so many good points.
Let's just say that hypothetically the hospital has all the supplies it requires and the tank could be installed with a reasonable maintenance plan, that still doesn't change the fact that people are at the hospital to get better, for their kids to get better. Nobody in their right mind is going to be staring at a fish tank. Either the patients are in and out, or they're in their room with limited mobility.
I'm sure everyone remembers being in the mall as a kid and wanting to go to a store at the other end, only to have their mom tell them it's too far, or being at the zoo and wanting to see the lions, but it's too late and you have to get going home. A reef tank in a hospital would only cause this same sort of dissention. It will result in parents and nurses having to explain to a sick child that they can't go see the tank, resulting in a sick child getting upset and feeling left out. How horrible would it be to suffer from a serious illness, and feel alienated for other reasons also.

50k can buy a lot of colouring books and video games.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

one thing i would also be prepared for is that there are going to be stressed out parents and upset parents that are going to see this tank as a waste of money while their young kid cant get what s/he needs, im sure alot of people will love it and find it relaxing but to a parent whos kid is suffering and no money to supply what they need they will raise a good argument about where the money for the hospital goes , and even though it is donated alot of parents are going to assume the hospital paid for this to be brought in.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Just a guy..

A few good points. Kids in QT can't go see it, that will upset them. Some parents will find it ridiculous and a waste of good money, as not everyone loves a good reef tank.
I know at our hospital, the layout does not have a common area, and kids can't wander away from their shared areas (security reasons). The halls also have a lot of beds and trolleys rolling around, breakage would be a concern.

However, the positive comments do have merit, and yes, I know my kid loves playing with the fish. But I'd really think smaller scale, cost wise and long term management wise.