rstar is on a distinguished road

Looking really good Mindy!!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Nice!
Old 08-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the comments guys!

I started dosing Lugol's Solution about 10 days ago. I've just been dosing one drop twice per week, so I've only done 3 drops so far. There are only about 75 gallons in the system right now. So this is 67% of the recommended dose. Iodine test kits are so inaccurate they are nearly useless, so I won't be testing for it, but I will watch my corals closely since overdosing should be easy to see.

More pics...

My Squamosa has been growing like mad. It is only about 2 1/2" from tip to tip now, but has put over 1/4" on the shell in the last 3 months. This is my first clam, but that seems like pretty good growth, no?

I was trying to take a pic of the Meteor Shower Cyphastrea, but the true Perc got in the pic, and I thought it looked perty. Too bad it's grainy.

Some new SPS frags. They all came to me 1-2 weeks ago almost entirely browned out, but are starting to show some exciting colors poking through (tough to see in the pic). Coral Master's blue polyped pink birdnest and rainbow Stylo, an ORA green polyped pink birdnest, and a pink Mille. Oh, the green polyped birdnest fell on my Lobo and burned a branch off. Grr. I need to trim it off.

Here are a couple more SPS frags that are unIDed so far. I'm told they are different which I think is probably right, but they are very close. The smaller one seems to have green corallites, where the bigger one has purple corallites. Both have brown polyps right now. I'm hoping they will color up into something perty.

Here are some sequence shots of my Symphyllia's feeder tentacles:

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 AM

I managed to get a decent bulkhead so I could plug the hole that is drilled in the overflow so I could fill the tank most of the way. Still waiting on bulkheads and unions so I can get the sump plumbed in. One day....one day...

One of my RBTAs moved to the back of the big arch...grr.

Pretty cool to watch the color slowly showing up on the browned out frags I got. Especially the rainbow Stylo. Very cool.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:33 PM

SPS frag pics...starting to show some color (I bought them browned out).

These two have lost a bit of color since I have been handling them A LOT. The smaller one (a nice tricolor) had red bugs, so I actually removed it from my tank and washed it directly under the tap until the bugs were off. Obviously the coral was not happy about this, but I figured a $15 frag isn't worth the trouble! It looks like it will survive, but is in poor condition. The other one has lost some color just from falling from it's perch into the sand a few times, and being handled a lot for red bug inspections. Luckily it was only the tricolor affected, and I have not seen them since last Saturday when I discovered them.

Here is ORA Green birdnest (from Texas) and Coral Master's blue polyp birdnest (I got it from a fellow hobbyist though). The blue polyp one is just starting to show some signs of bluing up, nice and peachy colored now though. The ORA green one is nice and peachy now too.

Here is Coral Master's rainbow Stylo (also purchased from a fellow hobbyist browned out), and it is coloring up really nicely too. This coral is SOOOO cool!! It's really tough to see in the photos, but the body is turning quite pink, and the growth tips are iridescent green with the polyps just starting to show some color. I'm really excited to grow this frag out.

This pink Mille was totally brown when I got it, and now it is quite rosy (polyps are still brown though). This will be a nice colony.

And I'll throw in a shot of my Meteor Shower Cyphastrea from Wicked Frags. I took a chunk off so I could trade a fellow reefer for a chunk of his really cool kinda rainbow Cyphastrea. Pretty ctoked about that.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:36 AM

Woohoo! Got a Wavebox!! As most of you know from my latest thread trying to figure out how to get it going well in my tank. I have wanted a Wavebox for several years now, so I'm pretty stoked to have it. I am contemplating trading it to a friend for his Wavebox Nano though...might work better in my tank.

I got a new mini colony today. Acro of some sort. Ha...I need to learn the species. Barely a sign of polyps so far. Polyps weren't out at the store either...probably pretty stressed. Hopefully it will be lookin good tomorrow.

You can finally see some pink in this photo of the rainbow Stylo!! Polyps are retracted from the Wavebox. Showing some decent growth too.

And the whole tank:

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Nice colour palette taking shape there! Reminds me of Sphelps' tank/photos. That first acro is awesome!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Agreed....that first acro is da bomb....lookin pretty sweet there Mindy....the tank I mean
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks Brett, it has a lot of growing to do to catch up to Steve's tanks!! But his are very nice, so thanks for the comment!

Haha, aw shucks Doug.

I can't wait to dose the tank with Spur2 and get that Acro to drop the brown. THEN it will be stellar.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 09-11-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Myka, your tank is looking awesome!!!

Any you told me that SPS was never in your future...sheesh, you look like a pro already!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.