Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM

scsi is on a distinguished road
Default first pics

Took these this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (50.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0312.jpg (40.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM

well, I can already tell that heat is going to be a problem with this tank. I have 2 Seio 620's and 2 maxi jet 400's. They may be giving off some heat, but I'm sure the main culprit is the Aquapro 150. I couldn't use the legs because my tank is just a teensy bit too narrow. Consequently I have to rest the fixture directly on top of the tank itself. It's approximately 4-5 inches from the surface of the water. There's no glass barrier between the fixture and the water. Temp in the house is 75 degrees, temp in the tank is pushing 82. I'm not very happy about this. Thinking do I need a chiller?

Also I'v come to the conclusion that I really want a sump.... Lando and I are trying to get that organized. If you read this Lando.... tell me what you think is a fair price

Last edited by scsi; 08-06-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Don't bother with a chiller yet.

You can raise the fixture the cheapo way by resting it on a pair of wooden blocks (like 2x4s) sitting on either side of the tank (running front to back).

Then you can use a small clip-on fan blowing across the water surface.

Should work well and be much more economical than a chiller.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 AM

muck is on a distinguished road

Rock looks great in your tank Brian. Glad to see it made it home ok.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 PM

it's been 4 days since my last entry. I think I'v got the heat problem licked. I used a couple of 2X4's to raise the conopy a bit and temp has stabilized @ 76-78

I'm starting to realize however that there's a tricky balance between PH, KH and CA levels. Right now my CA is a little on the high side @ 450 or even a little more... maybe 460.

PH is also a little on the high side too @ 8.5. Problem is that KH is a little on the low side @ 100.... 105 maybe. I used one dose of Reef Builder Carbonate Alkalinity over a 2 day period to try and raise the KH level slightly, but I don't want to raise the PH anymore. Conversely, if I try to bring the PH, and CA down slightly with a water change, I'm also lowering my KH level. So....

One problem I might be having is trying to establish accurate readings off the Hagen Master test kit I got. Is it just me or is trying to match up the color of your sample with the chart on the back of the booklet almost like trying to read a crystal ball? The colors don't match very well. Is there a product short of spending money on probes that makes it easier to get a reliable reading?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 AM

DanG is on a distinguished road

when those kits run out (or your patience runs out) switch to salifert kits. I've compared Hagen and Salifert kits together and the accuracy is about the same, but the salifert kits just work so much easier. You get your test water in the cup, add parts 1 and 2, and then squirt in the liquid from the syringe until the colour of the test water changes, and it's big change, from blue to purple, no in between, you can tell right away. Just look at the marking on the syringe and match the number to the sheet and you have your number. None of the Hagen add one drop, put lid on, shake, repeat.
The other thing you should be checking for is magnesium, and until that's in check, don't worry as much about ca and alk. Once magnesium is in check, it's much easier to balance the other 2.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 AM

Well, it's been 10 days in now

I'v spent most of this time taking needless readings that showed 0's in everything bad. The rock was pretty much cured when I got it, so there shouldn't have been much chance for big Amonia or Nitrite spikes.

Seeing as how the rock had been in an established tank for 2 months, I had high hopes for beneficial Hitchhikers.

It being 10 days... I'm having the usual growing pains...... Green algae is starting to form on the glass and rock. I'm thinking I need the next natural progression, which would be snails.... maybe a shimp..... Thing is... it's only been 10 days.

I'm a firm believer in patience... I have no probs waiting 6 months before the first fish goes in ( the corals will be in place before the fish)

But, I don't like the thought of algae overcrowding. Lighting with the Aqualight Pro 150 has been tame so far, no more than 5 hours a day.... Act's on 8 hours. Lunars the rest of the time. I will increase the MH gradually.

Is it too soon to add some "hardy" species at this point or should I wait another couple of weeks? I don't think the algae growth thus far is Diatom related. I only say this because the RO/DI unit has passed less the 150G of water through it. I know it's near the end of it's life for being able to filter silicates and silicic acid.

Amonia, Nitrites, Nitrates undetectable
Phosphate .025
PH 8.5
Salinity 1.023
Temp 76
CA 475
KA 100
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

If your not getting any ammonia/nitrite readings then there is no reason why you can't add some snails.
I would avoid getting hermit crabs and shrimp for a little longer they can eat up your worms before they have a chance to migrate into the sand bed and the more life you have in the sand the better

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 AM

Ummmm.....
that's a good thought Marie..........
I never thought about the possible migration of the worms from the rock to the sand............ makes perfect sense though........

Maybe go to Edmonton this weekend for snails

Last edited by scsi; 08-15-2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Ran into Edmonton this weekend to pick up more salt for my Aquarium. I also was looking at getting some snails or maybe a hermit crab to help with the Algae that's starting to sprout up in the tank.

At AI, I was talking with the guy there about the pros and cons of snails and such and I mentioned that I'd sure love to have a Sea Hare (Aplysia californica) I almost fell over when he said he had one. Natrually, I took it and rushed it home. 2 and a half hours through a wicked thunderstorm. Spent 2 hours easing him into my tank.

He went to work right away. I woke up this morning and half of my rock had been scoured clean and he was attacking the algae on the sand bed now. I think I'm going to like my first addition to the tank. Pics to follow

Temp 78F
Salinity 1.025
Amonia, Nitite, Nitrate Undetectable
PO negligible
CA 460
KH 110
PH 8.5