Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think butterflies are probably the surest bet for aiptasia control.

I'm sort of surprised that a CBB (Chelmon rostratus) didn't work because mine is an absolute bloodhound for aiptasia. I'll throw in a rock with an aiptasia on it and sometime he'll even have it eaten before I've left go of the rock and pulled my hand out of the water.

Other butterflies you could consider are the yellow/longnose (Forcipiger flavissimus) and the pyramid (Hemitauricthys polylepis). The longnose is considered "reasonably reef safe" but I can't find any info if it will pick at clams so proceed with caution. Supposedly it does adapt to prepared foods easily though and I've read it suggested somewhere to try one of these if you have a CBB that won't eat because the CBB will watch what the longnose eats and might try the same things.

The pyramid is generally regarded as the most reef-safe butterfly of all, so, should be safe to try, although I don't know if that also means it's the least likely to pick at aiptasia.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM

langdon reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to langdon reefer

Ive had pyramids befor they seem to be more of a plantonic (spelling) feeder
and from what ive read about them they prefer to feed on stuff in the water i know mine did...lol
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 AM

revgeoff is on a distinguished road

For the fish trap, Wendell at OA in Delta sells them (they work great!).

Has anyone had their CBB picking at corals? I tried pepermint shrimp to get rid of aptasia and it worked in my nano but not in any other tank. I don't have any clams, but I do have a BTA as well as some sofites and LPS.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:13 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

You could try getting a small fish hook and line, and fish him out. Put something on the hook that looks like aiptaisa, or a piece of aiptaisa, and you should have no problems. Make sure you remove the barbs from the hook though.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Some people have had luck with fishing their fish out. I stopped short of suggesting it because the one and only time I tried it, it didn't work out so well for me. Plus when you go to Fishin' Tales or whatever the store is that you get fishing hooks from and ask them for one 1/8" hook to catch a fish out of your fish tank is priceless, and then they look at you even funnier when you explain that using a net is out of the question. Here, if you want an amusing read, read about my attempt to catch a sixline here: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=27132&

However, it may be worth a shot if you think you're up to trying it. Definitely use pliers or something to get the barb off the hook though so that you don't injure the fish too badly. I dunno, maybe I'm just not cut out for fishing.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I got my trap all setup last night and baited it and I also threw a couple large nets in the tank just to get him used to it. Well every other fish dissapeared into the rock work once I did that except the racoon. He practically swam into the net. So he is living in the sump for now clearing that tank of aiptasia.

I got him at Elite earlier this year and it was quite intriging watching him blow on each aiptasia to get it to withdraw some and then bam the Aipatsia is gone. But yes he picked on snails, polyps, LPS, and my anenomes afterwords.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Crongrats on catching him.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.