Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 AM

swill is on a distinguished road
Default Protein Skimmer for a 300 gallon FOWLR

What would you suggest for a skimmer for a 300 gallon FOWLR tank?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:03 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Vertex IN series for price point, good skimmer but a but noisy. Alpha cone 250 and the 300 are mid to high end skimmer with a price tag just over the thousand mark. Then there is the bbk super marin 250 or 300, now your are almost into the couple of thousands but you get what you pay for, amazing skimmers.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 AM

syncro is on a distinguished road

SWC 250?

http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/i...products_id=33

I've read good things about the small 120 and 160 versions (see posts on canreef and reef builders). Canadian company.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 AM

swill is on a distinguished road

I have read that the C skim 1800 by red sea is easy to maintain and user freindly as well as being effiecent. Has anyone used or is using this and have any pros and cons.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
I have read that the C skim 1800 by red sea is easy to maintain and user freindly as well as being effiecent. Has anyone used or is using this and have any pros and cons.
honestly, from the pics, it looks neither user friendly, easy to do anything with, and doesn't appear to be anywhere near the currently accepted designs in efficient skimmers. It is, however, inexpensive.
Really, for a 300g tank, I'd imagine you should double that amount for your skimmer budget, at least (if buying new).
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

I have seen some great results from the skimz units. A friend of mine has a 250 gallon reef system and he is running one of these units. It started pulling skim mate out the first day and has never had a problem. They seem to be under 500 for a u it that would work for your system
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
What would you suggest for a skimmer for a 300 gallon FOWLR tank?
http://www.reefshops.com/bubble-magu...e-skimmer.html
http://www.reefshops.com/2011-bubble...-hero-320.html
For 300 Gal you need something that pulls at least 1000 L/H of air or more. If manufacturer does not say how much air skimmer intake stay away from it.

I bought skimmer and Calcium reactor from this guy and very happy with quality and performance , the only draw back is 220V but i got a transformer from CraigsList for $10 200 Watt. skimmer is only 23 W and calc reactor is only 15W, so i can drive more on the same transformer.
Both units are excellent quality very quiet and skimmer is very easy to clean, just lift the collection cup up.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
http://www.reefshops.com/bubble-magu...e-skimmer.html
http://www.reefshops.com/2011-bubble...-hero-320.html
For 300 Gal you need something that pulls at least 1000 L/H of air or more. If manufacturer does not say how much air skimmer intake stay away from it.

I bought skimmer and Calcium reactor from this guy and very happy with quality and performance , the only draw back is 220V but i got a transformer from CraigsList for $10 200 Watt. skimmer is only 23 W and calc reactor is only 15W, so i can drive more on the same transformer.
Both units are excellent quality very quiet and skimmer is very easy to clean, just lift the collection cup up.
If money isn't an issue stay away from Crap like that.... in my Honest Experience
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
If money isn't an issue stay away from Crap like that.... in my Honest Experience
All crap is made in China. Cheep crap as well as expensive crap it all comes from there.
Skimmer is just a chamber to mix water and air. I have been in the reef hobby for 13+ years, since 1998 growing SPS corals, and had a lot of skimmers, so yes if money is growing on the tree inside your garage go ahead and buy BK with Red Dragon pump.

Bubble Magus is Chinese skimmer and yet in this thread you are not against it?
Does more expensive means better skimming? I have been using air driven skimmer just until recently when i got a needle wheel.

Some one posted this article where air stone skimmer was proven to be very efficient in terms of crap removal.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...+driven&page=3
Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 AM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
All crap is made in China. Cheep crap as well as expensive crap it all comes from there.
Skimmer is just a chamber to mix water and air. I have been in the reef hobby for 13+ years, since 1998 growing SPS corals, and had a lot of skimmers, so yes if money is growing on the tree inside your garage go ahead and buy BK with Red Dragon pump.

Bubble Magus is Chinese skimmer and yet in this thread you are not against it?
Does more expensive means better skimming? I have been using air driven skimmer just until recently when i got a needle wheel.

Some one posted this article where air stone skimmer was proven to be very efficient in terms of crap removal.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...+driven&page=3
Oh i know it what makes the skimmer is the pump and if the skimmer is made like crap or cheaped out like alot of them out there then the pump is the only thing that backs up the skimmer.