Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM

Roskoreef is on a distinguished road

sigh.... more stn issues, fairly certain it was a combo of slight overdose of zeostart, slight change in zeo reactor output (when i changed pump and reactor 2mths ago) and an alk swing from 7 dkh to 8.75 dkh overnight (apex malfunction)

only my largest colonies are dying, i was hoping it would stop but this morning nearly a 1/4 of my large bonsai, yellow mille, efflo and teal deepwater... i dont think i have a choice but to frag out...

I fragged out the teal deepwater and cut most of the dying tissue, but i found this black inside the skeleton, anyone know if this is whats killing my nicest stuff? besides stn from recent issues..

pics after cutting most of the bottom off,

black stuff, was inside the part that was dying,

Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 AM

frag tank was a mess so i picked up some of these new nifty frag racks from IM. I saw them on a MACNA review, so i snatched 2 when i saw them.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 AM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

did you find them local? price?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:49 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about the STN troubles... I sure hope that beauty Efflo pulls through!

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Sorry to hear about the STN troubles... I sure hope that beauty Efflo pulls through!
Stn has moved down about an inch everywhere, im devestated.. im going to attempt to save some part of it but cutting it with a dremmel, pretty sure to save any of it i will have to, any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
did you find them local? price?
yeah i found them at pisces, not cheap 89% ea. they had 2 smaller versions for cheaper but i didnt look into them.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:49 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

When dealing with stn in the past I only had success by cutting away at the healthy portion and gluing te fresh cut portion to a rock or frag plug an leave it in a low flow area in ur tank. Oh ya and prayed that it didn't die the next day lol
-concept built 3'x2'x22" full starfire tank with starfire 1 piece eurobrace and built in wave box, 1 jebao wp25, 4 mp10wes, ati led Hybrid 8 bulb fixture, csc 250 skimmer, Magdrive 18 return pump, apex lite, custom sump from concepts, biopellet reactor and carbon and gfo,bubble magnus doser and jbj ato, custom acrylic frag tank with 6 bulb t5
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70851
Old 11-19-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
When dealing with stn in the past I only had success by cutting away at the healthy portion and gluing te fresh cut portion to a rock or frag plug an leave it in a low flow area in ur tank. Oh ya and prayed that it didn't die the next day lol
looks like i have a lot of cutting to do
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoreef View Post
Stn has moved down about an inch everywhere, im devestated.. im going to attempt to save some part of it but cutting it with a dremmel, pretty sure to save any of it i will have to, any suggestions?
I haven't found that fragging always helps. In fact, I'm not sure that it even helps at all. I've tried fragging and not fragging, and sometimes the frags will survive when the rest of the colony perishes, and sometimes just the opposite. If you do frag, try to clip in-tank, and leave the rest of the colony in there.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I haven't found that fragging always helps. In fact, I'm not sure that it even helps at all. I've tried fragging and not fragging, and sometimes the frags will survive when the rest of the colony perishes, and sometimes just the opposite. If you do frag, try to clip in-tank, and leave the rest of the colony in there.
ya I definetly prefer to frag in tank, Im going to dip a few different colonies and see what comes off. AEFW are still a suspect, but im still leaning towards alk spike as i havent stopped using flatworm stop in 6-8 mths. I fragged a huge mille just in time to save a few good size mini colonies, so far so good...