Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

+1 On the above article. It's very much a symbiotic relationship similar to clownfish and anemone.

I don't have issues with my Yellow/Citron goby. However it IS true that of the acros that I do have (I'm mainly an LPS hobbyist); the polyps do NOT extend as much as they should in theory. The goby will swim and "hop" from SPS to SPS. Once it perches on a piece the polyps naturally close up.

I've never observed the goby actually nip or munch on my SPS. Also; take into consideration that my SPS aren't large colonies either. Since Yellow/Citron/Clown (acro gobies in general) have huge acro homes in the wild; we as hobbyists see the 'irritation' of closed polyps in a much smaller environment - it's more pronounced.

They are cute and full of character. Unless you have large SPS colonies; you will notice closed polyps.

I think it's also worth noting that having more than one of these gobies in your system could be an issue for SPS lovers. When and if they mate.....the eggs are known to irritate the corals to which they are attached to.