Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-31-2014, 01:01 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
that looks so naturally lit it's awesome. i'd never guess this was a new setup it's got a rich, mature look already.

love the euphyllia pile and the floating scoly.

must also be nice to have the world's most hyperactive cardinal
thanks buddy , i could trade some zoas for pics lol stupid cell pics are ruingin it all lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice View Post
MMMM floating scollies

mmmmm doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
Very cool! I enjoyed catching up on this thread, looks incredible!
glad you like it buddy , looks much better in person and was a fun build debating on a sps theme tank next hehe
Old 12-31-2014, 03:38 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Looks pretty cool. Does it smell though?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 AM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Looks pretty cool. Does it smell though?
Thanks man , we get asked that a lot but it doesn't at all I even asked guest to tell me if it did as I figured I slowly got use to it lol
But the verdict is it doesn't

One major design flaw on my part though , corals at waters surface look cool but only until your return pump dies while your at work xmas eve , corals were in the air all day we didn't lose anything really but did get me to think about getting the controller hooked up to it.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:59 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Thanks man , we get asked that a lot but it doesn't at all I even asked guest to tell me if it did as I figured I slowly got use to it lol
But the verdict is it doesn't

One major design flaw on my part though , corals at waters surface look cool but only until your return pump dies while your at work xmas eve , corals were in the air all day we didn't lose anything really but did get me to think about getting the controller hooked up to it.
Yea but in that really big fish tank the tide goes in and out and corals are subjected to air and that big bright light they all survive
Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

And I thought my tank was overcrowded. Based on today's pics, I can double my corals and still be okay. Good to know.

Looks totally awesome, btw.

Anthony
Old 12-31-2014, 09:50 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
And I thought my tank was overcrowded. Based on today's pics, I can double my corals and still be okay. Good to know.

Looks totally awesome, btw.

Anthony
Thanks Anthony

We are trying to group corals based on knowing how they act and grow , for example the scoly and lobos only have feeders on the large polyp and are small at less than an inch , it would take a few years for these pieces to grow into each other and the feeders currently only have access to the bottom or skeleton of the piece above it .

I worry about the bubble as it almost touches the scoly but I only had the bubble fight with it the first day it was in , since then it doesn't see it as a threat most likely because of the angle and flow direction , this will likely change as the bubble grows large and fast though so at any given time the scoly can come off its glue and small tower.

We're going to fill in the gaps tonight with zoanthids and then we want to finish off the stand skirting And doser shelf in the next couple of weeks .

Got some good news last night as I noticed that the pink lemonade acro has covered its base and colors are almost back , this is the first real signs of improvement since dosing too much Alk thinking it was vinegar so I may add back more sps , right now it's only a couple acros and a montipora setosa in there the rest are patiently waiting and healing in the frag tank lol

Also finally got confirmation that our Pom Pom crab is still alive and doing well found it's cave last night Under a chalice and until now she's remained pretty elusive lol even snapped a blurry pic lol

Happy new years everyone!!!

Denny and Ruth
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 AM

Howie is on a distinguished road

Awesome looking tank guys. I can't wait to be able to start stocking ours lol. And thanks for all the help so far Denny and the rest of the guys from concept.

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM

mufflerfist is on a distinguished road

Great job guys.. sooo jealous
Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 PM

Misses.ReefWars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufflerfist View Post
Great job guys.. sooo jealous
thanks alot glad you enjoyed , we are going to update here shortly with new pics
Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
R.I.P.

little late on the update but here goes

over the last while we added a bunch more inverts so our list now includes cleaner shrimps(6), anemone crabs(2), anemone shrimp(3) , harlequin serpent star(1) , fromia sea star(1), candy pistol shrimp(1) , blue legged hermits(20) , emerald crabs(1) ,halloween hermit(1) , pom pom crab(1)....plus more im sure im forgetting lol

the problem was though as nice as it is having shrimps running around with no fear of predators they were picking on the clams and just about anything else that moves lol

we dealt with this for a while but the clams were getting worse so......

enter the guard dogs!!!

we added a full grown pair of scott's fairy wrasses

so now the shrimp are in hiding...caves, ledges etc. not as active but the reef overall appreciates it and these two seem to show no interest in the shrimps and are the show fish of the tank (damn costly lol)

we added a large sebae anemone a while ago but was hit or miss one day it would attach the next it wouldn't , after killing the flow for a few weeks we decided to pull the bugger out so that space is now empty and we are debating on doing an acan garden in that spot or reserving it for something else down the road lol

we haven't added much for corals but a few more zoanthids around the top

we are fully stocked for fish atm

3 x full grown pj cardinals
2 x trojan clownfish
1 x citron goby
1 x sailfin blenny
1 x baby kole tang
2 x scotts fairy wrasses

here are some pics of how it sits today , we finally did another water change last night of 5g to freshen things up a bit.

water results have stayed consistent and still no measurable po4 or no3 and this is even with me babysitting 9 fish in my sump, no new gfo as of lately either.

tank is maturing on schedule and without a hitch

pics:

will post some full tank shots here next

hope you enjoy!!

ruth and denny

Tags
fijireefrock, pukani