Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Finally unpacked my test kits. DOH, I been back in this house since april.. through a few away after attempting to get results out of expired kits.

Po4 .07 I guess thats why my hair algae keeps on getting on.

the ok news PO4 out of my GFO reactor .01, and in my new water .00

I guess keep on pulling out the HA with the (as of late) frequent water changes, and stay on top of the GFO. I kind of think i probably had High phosphates the whole time i lived in sylvan lake but my now passed scopas tang was hiding any signs of it.
(tang didnt survive the rushed move home in winter temps)
Side note.. alk is low 5 in tank and 6 in fresh reef crystals(easy fix) and ca is high 500 in tank. My MG kit was one of the bunk ones. tanks a long way away from seeing fuzzy sticks again.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:42 AM

Tank is looking awesome for something that only has a few corals and 3 fish. unfortunately i might have to start a NEW tank journal soon since i have been building a tank up over the holidays. trying to figure out the nicest way to do this for my poor sps since the new tank needs to go where the old tank is. Plumbed in a 55 gal holding tank to make the outgoing transfer easier, not sure if i can tie it in to the new system after i get everything moved into place, here is hopping. I will at least take a couple good pics for a final FTS before i tear it down.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 AM

I forgot to take a fts before teardown, so here is a "damn im glad i only made one frag" quick shot of the new setup. Hoping the cycle is pretty light.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:20 PM

my corals need more poo
Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 PM

been lurking forever but no updates. so.. tank had one hickup early summer last year.. corals rebounded... started having minor hickups before christmass, updated peices here and there.. including ading a neptune atk instead of just replacing my float valves on my jbj or moving them to my apex.
think i bought that back on thanksgiving.

have had nothing but ato related failures since then.. a few different ones.. but now down to either just repeatedly failed sensors/defective sensor port

most of my sps are dead.. i had a few barely hanging on a few weeks ago.. but i moved one of my power heads it blew some sand around and over a few days all my remaining newer sps rtn/stn.. guessing the ole disturb the sand and screw your tank syndrome.. i am down to a couple ancient monties barely hanging on. have not tested sh@#$ all through most of the mess.. i know whats wrong most of the time.

not getting rid of the tank but.. almost that frustrated.

fish are supposed to be to make the corals nice looking not be the only thing to look at but for now ill be fowlr+ whatever left.
also going to slowly suck out the sanded.. leaving a very shallow layer in with whatever rubble is in there.

currently running the top off outlet on a timer and relying on the float valve. but things are staying stable that way instead of ... drying out the return chamber.. burning out pumps.. and having the tank go empty like it was before...
Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a mess! hang in there, get your ATO tuned and salinity consistent. Then work on ALK/CAL/MAG stability. With minimal corals you should be able to do biweekly WC and maintain for a while. Then PO4 and nitrates.

Hopefully you can get it all back on track, start back with some zoas so you get some nice color pop to look at. Then ease back in to SPS .
Old 06-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Well now that I don't have a job to keep me from fixing things in the tank. Worked with neptune to get my issues sorted out. When I got the atk I did all steps but it appears the apex classic dashboard did not update its webpages properly, add a couple capped out sensors and me working on the road and we get here. New sensors in the mail and things appear to be working correctly. It appeared to be working correctly in the past though it was only when nobody is home things act up. Neptune support was great I wish I had the time to start a ticket months ago. Now let's get this tank restocked while I have limited income lol.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:31 PM

lost the edit so.. FTS

Last edited by blacknife; 06-09-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:17 PM

Found a quick and easy way to deal with my bubble tip infestation.

pull rock.

spot spray hydrogen peroxide on bubble tip

wait 1-2 mins

pry foot with something small

bubble tip falls off into garbage.

Have not tried with mushrooms yet but i do not think it will work on them. and no need to put hundreds of ****ed off mushroom babies back in my tank.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:21 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknife View Post
Found a quick and easy way to deal with my bubble tip infestation.

pull rock.

spot spray hydrogen peroxide on bubble tip

wait 1-2 mins

pry foot with something small

bubble tip falls off into garbage.

Have not tried with mushrooms yet but i do not think it will work on them. and no need to put hundreds of ****ed off mushroom babies back in my tank.
This has worked on a few (purple) mushrooms that I've tried this method with. Also has worked for aiptasia for me. This is what I do. Except I don't pull out my rocks. I directly inject them with a syringe full of hydrogen peroxide. Watch them melt from the inside out. It is very satisfying. I use 30% peroxide, not the wimpy 3% stuff from drug stores.