Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-27-2018, 07:58 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Ouch! Well, glad to hear no one got hurt. Moving those massive tanks is a beeotch. So many things can go wrong. On the bright side it looks like your tank has secured its own fish room (garage) in your new house.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Gosh sorry things were a bit bumpy. Hope it’ll work itself out now that you’re settled in. Do you still have plans to bring the tank inside the house?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post

The Bad! The fish were transferred in 5g pails and put in Rubbermaid’s at the new house. Now, the darn mp40 would not stay running for more than 5 mins for some reason. I tried moving it a bunch of times but it didn’t seem to work.
Is it possible having the mp40 on the Rubbermaid, that the dry side and wet side were too close together? Did you use it with proper spacer to make sure the 2 parts are the right distance apart. Might have caused mp40 to shut down.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Ouch! Well, glad to hear no one got hurt. Moving those massive tanks is a beeotch. So many things can go wrong. On the bright side it looks like your tank has secured its own fish room (garage) in your new house.
You hit it out of the park with that statement... it going to lie but getting it down was an absolute chore. Now working up the stairs was heavier then one could describe. So I initially just chose the garage as a placement because where else do you put a large leaky tank? Focus is to replace that bottom glass on the overflow box (thank the stars, I went with an external). That being said I’m really starting to like that the oversized garage in or new place has a huge offset which the tank doesn’t impede...oh and lots of room to expand to a fish room ahaha. The wife hasn’t complained about it being in the garage either. Little water on the epoxy floor...doesn’t bat an eyelash.ob and there is in floor heating so that should take away from the Alberta winter cold, one would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Gosh sorry things were a bit bumpy. Hope it’ll work itself out now that you’re settled in. Do you still have plans to bring the tank inside the house?
ya it was nerve racking experience. I’m so happy no fish were lost and it was only the overflow box plate. Surprisingly my water parameters didn’t change and all my sps look great (other then majority of the branches broken off my colonies). I’m exploring the idea of taking it downstairs however I’m worried as the whole house has hardwood floors including the stairs. Really worried about damaging them with the big tank going down the stairs. I may explore removing one of the large windows (day window) in the basement. Then just replace with a new window but not sure how expensive that will be.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
Is it possible having the mp40 on the Rubbermaid, that the dry side and wet side were too close together? Did you use it with proper spacer to make sure the 2 parts are the right distance apart. Might have caused mp40 to shut down.
I would definitely say that I think it came down to the thickness of the Rubbermaid compared to my glass. It would just tumble and eventually turn off after 5 mins. I put it back in to my tank and wham-o, runs like a dream again.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 PM

Exclamation Bottom of Overflow Removal?

On that note... my Frags came in 2 days ago from Jess and they are gorgeous. I’m getting angry at the various things from the move that are taking up my time. Right now they just sit on my frag rack looking oh so colorful and all I want to do is get them secured o my rock work. On top of all that I am on nights this week. First world problems!!

On another note my wife and I are going to Cabo at the end of October and my in laws booked me a couple dives as a birthday present. So I’m super pumped for that. I’m just debating g if I should tackle the overflow box before or after our week vacation? I just don’t want a disaster to come home to. The leak was slowed as much as I could with silicone (1/4 of a 5g pail) in 24 hours.

Anyone have a good idea on how to cut the bottom plate out without jeopardizing the remainder of the sides. My goal would be to get the bottom out as clean as I can so I don’t have to do a whole bunch of new silicone work (not my strong suite). Also a pain in the but is I will have to cut my drain pipes to get the bulkheads out and replace them. Got to love finding sch 80 1.5” fittings, unions and pipe. Open to any suggestions, tips, do’ and don’ts
Old 09-05-2018, 02:26 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear of your tank-moving woes. I'm picking my tank up tomorrow and I've got a sick feeling about it already. As for cutting that pane out I would use the smallest guitar string. use a blade to make a hole or just push it through. Then saw up and down with the string. I cut apart my 400g this way and that had inner eurobraces in the bottom. Would have been nearly impossible without the guitar string!

Last edited by lastlight; 09-05-2018 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Sorry to hear of your tank-moving woes. I'm picking my tank up tomorrow and I've got a sick feeling about it already. As for cutting that pane out I would use the smallest guitar string. use a blade to make a hole or just push it through. Then saw up and down with the string. I cut apart my 400g this way and that had inner eurobraces in the bottom. Would have been nearly impossible without the guitar string!
That’s a pretty good idea! I know they use wire to cut pvc so that would definitely work. My goal is to try and get the bottom panel out without compromising the rest of the overflow box.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:57 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I cut apart a 90g with an Olfa L2 and multiple passes until the blade went all the way through.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I cut apart a 90g with an Olfa L2 and multiple passes until the blade went all the way through.
I thought this may work with a bunch of snapping the blade to keep it sharp. My other worry is cutting the black vinyl while trying to remove this darn piece.

Tags
build, reef tank, salt water aquarium, sps, tank build