Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM

gridley is on a distinguished road
Default Picture Update

A while ago we purchased a second Percula to replace the one that dissapeared in the tank (still have no idea what happened). It is close to half the size of the first one and they have paired up well with no problems. Below are a few pics of the Percs. Also I added a few other pictures that I took last night.

90g mixed reef (eventually!); 23g sump; 20g QT; Waveline DC-5000 return; 2 Radions; 2 Vortech MP10s; Koralia 3; ELOS ATO with 14g ATO tank; RLSS R8 skimmer; BRS reactor - GFO/Carbon; filter socks; Puratek RO/DI
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85303
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley View Post
Thanks for the advice. The skimmer is working a bit better today. Regarding adding carbon - we are running a GFO / Carbon reactor - how often should they be changed out? Would adding some carbon to a filter sock be effective?

Thanks
I normally run carbon and gfo too and typically change then out once a month. However, when I did my chemi clean treatment I added an extra bag of carbon (in a media bag dropped into my sump) to help take out the meds. I replaced my carbon in my carbon reactor on day 7 after treatment and took out my extra carbon bag.

I don't have any experience running carbon in a filter sock. I personally wouldn't do that tho as my carbon would probably get lodged in my sock fibers and/or overflow into my sump if/when my sock overflowed.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Thats a lie!!

Tank crashes happen fast everytime
Hence the "good" part of the statement

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley View Post
A while ago we purchased a second Percula to replace the one that dissapeared in the tank (still have no idea what happened). It is close to half the size of the first one and they have paired up well with no problems. Below are a few pics of the Percs. Also I added a few other pictures that I took last night.

Congrats! lovely and healthy

Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I normally run carbon and gfo too and typically change then out once a month. However, when I did my chemi clean treatment I added an extra bag of carbon (in a media bag dropped into my sump) to help take out the meds. I replaced my carbon in my carbon reactor on day 7 after treatment and took out my extra carbon bag.

I don't have any experience running carbon in a filter sock. I personally wouldn't do that tho as my carbon would probably get lodged in my sock fibers and/or overflow into my sump if/when my sock overflowed.
Thanks Kien - this makes sense to me. I appreciate the advice.
90g mixed reef (eventually!); 23g sump; 20g QT; Waveline DC-5000 return; 2 Radions; 2 Vortech MP10s; Koralia 3; ELOS ATO with 14g ATO tank; RLSS R8 skimmer; BRS reactor - GFO/Carbon; filter socks; Puratek RO/DI
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
Congrats! lovely and healthy
Thank you very much. I still have a rather emty tank and this is just a beginning (a slow beginning). Nothing that more $$ wouldn't solve. LOL
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM

It looks like it is way past time for an update . . . but not a lot has been happening. I have added a few mushrooms though.

And a few additional recent pictures . . .

Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Your pictures are so nice.. what camera are you using?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Your pictures are so nice.. what camera are you using?
Thank you very much for the compliment. One of my hobbies for years has been nature photography and marine shots are an extension of that - and I have a huge amount to learn yet about taking photos through glass!

About 15 months ago I bought myself a Sony a65. The reviews http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta65/ on this camera were very good and I have not been dissapointed . I upgraded the stock lens that came with the camera to an 18-250mm lens for a larger range of possible shots. What drew me to the camera was:
1) the very quick auto focus time - action pictures are much better
2) the ability to take 10 frames/sec - allowing me to get the "perfect" shot of a duck taking off or landing
3) the ability to takes pictures at high ISO - up to 16,000
4) the image size of up to 24MP

What I've found for the tank is that I can take a picture with an image size of 24MP and the lens at 18mm. I am able to take pictures from about 18" from the tank, letting more light in, a lower ISO and I don't have to go to a macro lens or macro settings. I can then crop the image significantly and still have a good sized photo without losing clarity.

Overall, I am very happy with the camera.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Looking good! And nice camera!