Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-22-2015, 06:33 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road
Default Hmmm... what to do... what to do.?.

So I just finished a 4 month fallow after ich domintated and won in my tank. In the time the tank has had no fish I've become a little gunshy and I'm undecided on which way to go with my tank... I have always had reef tanks. I really do enjoy them. BUT... For some reason lately I've become fascinated with large colourful predatory fish... ie puffers, groupers, etc... I'll get to the point. I'm trying to decide on whether to go with some large colourful character fish and ditch the reef idea. Or stick with the reef... I've never had a large tank before so a lot of the fish I'm now looking at would never have even been an option. Whats your opinion?
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:19 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you are leaning to a FOWLR. You can always get the fish you want, then start adding coral and see what they don't eat. You may end up with some sort of mixed reef.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:46 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Mixed reef is always more relaxing than watching big fish swimming in circles among rocks, 300 g display would be beautiful as a reef. My 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

yeah just buy the fish you want and then add other corals they wont eat . Thats what I did with my 4ft cube mind you all I ended up with is a bunch of softies as my puffer eats anything half cool . Keep in mind if you end up not liking the mostly FOWLR set up you can always re sell the fish and make a reef again