Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Without a cookie bribe? Not likely lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but a bean isn't just an extra drain it's the ability to run more gph with the syphon so the bonus on a small tank is nil but on larger tanks you run more water through without having to use huge piping sizes
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

If it was only an extra emergency it wouldnt run with that much water in it
Old 06-10-2015, 01:47 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Without a cookie bribe? Not likely lol

Correct me if I'm wrong but a bean isn't just an extra drain it's the ability to run more gph with the syphon so the bonus on a small tank is nil but on larger tanks you run more water through without having to use huge piping sizes
I think you are partly wrong. The Herbie and the BA are both siphon drains so with the same size pipe they can handle the same flow. The BA adds the emergency drain, but also uses the second drain as a trickle (which is how many people run their Herbie). The trickle set up means that you shouldn't have to adjust the siphon drain gate valve once you have it tuned. That trickle can take more or less as minor variations change the flow through the main line.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I didn't think it was really possible to adjust a herbie so it didn't drift one way or another very slowly at best. Plus the flow rate can shift as the pump gets dirty etc. I figured everyone had a trickle down the emergency or had a tiny bit of air going down the siphon. So the emergency with trickle is quietest and the emergency still can handle more flow than your primary siphon since its unvalved. The bean has the extra emergency which is nice but I doubt it's needed.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

You guys use mostly 1in. or larger?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I use 1 1" and 3 1-1/2",( two of the 1-1/2" are emergency drains only). Both the herbie and bean animal use siphon to work. Bean has more fittings.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 PM

hfp75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
Both the herbie and bean animal use siphon to work. Bean has more fittings.
Yes and Yes....

The 3rd drain on the bean you shouldn't normally use... its an emergency back up
Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I use one extra hole as a second emergency even though its somewhat overkill I know two 1-1/2" drains could never plug enough to have a problem. My one inch throttled drain feeds only the fuge side of my sump and my heavily throttled inch and a half drain feeds only the skimmer/mechanical filtration side of my sump. I also have the choice to change configuration for whatever reason down the road or if I wanted to I could increase sump flow or experiment etc... Seeings I had the overflow custom built I figured an extra hole could never be a bad thing. The real key is finding the best height of the pipes in the overflow to keep it dead silent.
Also I don't run a trickle. Just spent a fair bit of time and got it perfectly 'tuned'. I can shut the tank down and start up and within about 5 min its perfectly quiet.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.

Last edited by Skimmin; 06-11-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:46 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I went BA when having my tank built because I figured the extra emergency drain is an added safety feature just in case. So why not?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 PM

Duckhams is on a distinguished road

I run a beananimal on my 75 gallon with 1" drains and it handles my eheim 1262 (900 gph) easily. I would suggest using a gate valve, not a cheap ball valve, on your main line for easier adjustments and fine tuning.

BIG REEF Tank Re-Build Thread: http://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/show...=46508&page=23