Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

I have a hippo and a yellow in the same tank. I'm starting to have issues because the fish all crowd up against the left hand side of the tank and territories are starting to be formed.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 AM

Reef Puffer is on a distinguished road

I have both in a 120. My yellow is an ass. He is the biggest fish in the tank and was there long before the kole. The kole tang is almost the same size. In the beginning there was lots of aggression from the yellow. Every other day the kole had new cuts and scrapes. I put up mirrors to distract the yellow but it only worked temporarily. It took a couple weeks before the yellow calmed down. He is still the boss and doesn't like to share his nori, but they get along fine otherwise now. Good luck if you decide to try.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:05 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post

But again, those who have both, which one was in the tank first?
Yellow first
Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

I had a yellow and a kole for quite a while and they were fine. The kole ended up getting a parasite and died, so I replaced him with a white cheek and they get along fine as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 AM
Vendor

xenon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xenon

Depends on the size of the tank.

We keep 5 yellow tangs and 1 kole tang in some of our corals beds but its a big footprint (48x96").
Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 AM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Yellow and Scopas will always be a disaster. Similar body shape. Its tough to make that combo work. You typically need a very large tank to house a Scopas, Yellow, Purple, or Longnose Black together ... They all hate eachother it seems lol
Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 AM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback. Am still on the fence, so not sure what I am going to do. I would really hate to see my Kole get hurt.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:51 AM

Taipan is on a distinguished road

Perhaps.....you can bring your Yellow Tang downstairs first; and introduce it into the system with the Kole Tang first. Let them become 'acquainted' in the Yellow Tang's NEW environment. Since the Kole is familiar with the surroundings; it may be less intimidated and the Yellow Tang is unfamiliar territory. Once (if) they 'get along'; bring them both upstairs to the 'new' environment. New environment; fewer territory issues. In theory. That is....also.....if your upstairs display can go a little while without an algae grazer. Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:57 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Perhaps.....you can bring your Yellow Tang downstairs first; and introduce it into the system with the Kole Tang first. Let them become 'acquainted' in the Yellow Tang's NEW environment. Since the Kole is familiar with the surroundings; it may be less intimidated and the Yellow Tang is unfamiliar territory. Once (if) they 'get along'; bring them both upstairs to the 'new' environment. New environment; fewer territory issues. In theory. That is....also.....if your upstairs display can go a little while without an algae grazer. Good Luck.
Great idea !
Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Yes, I thought of that, too, and agree that would be much better for the Kole. However, the problem would be in catching the Yellow. Then I would have to catch him again in the downstairs tank. It will be hard enough to catch the Kole, but I think I have a better chance with him because I have a feeder that he comes up to. Actually, that is how I caught the Foxface once before. And you can imagine how skittish a 6" Foxface can be.