Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 12-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road
Default Question about skimmer pump

I just recently did a water change and when I plugged my skimmer back in, the skimmer pump started to make loud noises. I have a Vertex Alpha Cone 170 in-sump skimmer being used over a year or so. From what I read, the Red Dragon pumps are supposed to be excellent pumps and last a very long time. My question is if it's possible to have the pump repaired? Is it worth it or should I just buy a new pump? Which pump can I use instead of the Red Dragon pump? I guess that's more than one question
Old 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Maybe pull the pump out & have a look at it before you write it off. Might be as simple as something lodged in the volute or impeller. More info on the pump will also be needed before anyone can recommend a replacement or other course of action. Skimmer model is a good start, but model # & flow specs. of the pump itself will help determine a suitable replacement if it comes to that.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Yes the Red Dragon pumps are supposed to be excellent and long lasting. The pump on my Alphacone 250 crapped out and I got warranty on it no questions asked. It was actually the distributor that helped me out with help from Albert.
For the replacement pump you can use a Laguna pump for a quarter of the price as the Red Dragon. Apparently it's pretty much the same pump. Not sure of the model number but there's a moderator on here that can help you out with that.