Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i was told earlier we could use "used" ls.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

So buying livestock from a vendor makes it "new", but from someone else its "used"?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

no just using something you may already have.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:53 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

"Used" being anything not coming directly from a vendor. So coming from your own tank, someone else's, etc.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 AM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

I also have a question about rics and mushrooms. The LiveAquaria package of 7 mushrooms/rics contain both. What do you think the value of one mushroom or a rock with 4-5 mushrooms?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

The 75% thing was for hardware only

Livestock pricing was to be based on the J&L or LiveAquaria prices.

This has been in the Rules/Guidelines since the beginning as well.

Quote:
ADDENDUM A:
Calculating "cost" for livestock/coral that was free (fragged from an existing tank, etc), received in trade, or purchased at wholesale prices, etc.
-Items received free-- an amount will be deducted from your budget equivalent to what that livestock/coral would commonly be sold for in Livestock Classified Forum of Canreef.com or J&L Aquatics if it can not be found in the Buy/Sell Section. If you can not determine a "fair market value" please PM michika or JDigital a pic, along with common name, and we will do our best to give you a "price".
If you don't feel this is satisfactory, you would probably be better off not competing in this contest.
-Items received in trade - Same as above.
-Items purchased at wholesale prices - Same as above.
-Items on which you scored a "good deal"- If you can provide proof of the price you got, cost will be figured at the actual price you paid. If it was a transaction with a private individual, have them hand-write you a receipt, scan it, and post it on your thread.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-26-2008, 04:47 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Question

If a piece of livestock were to parish or perhaps just removed because of compatibility issues or some other reason can the cost of that piece of livestock be deducted from the budget?

Also same deal with equipment, if something needs to be replaced or removed can it's cost be deducted from the budget?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

I would hope with equipment we would be able to work around problems. After all we're all relying on notorious heaters (I don't think i've heard of a single >100w with a stellar reputation for reliability). And most of us are cutting corners to make the budget work... However there's something to be said for warranty replacement vs upgrading - maybe a 'restocking fee'?

Livestock is a damn good question though, no clue where to go with that one...
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:25 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Not to jump the gun here but I would hope that as long as by the end of six months all that matters is that the tank as is, is within budget. After all people who broke tanks didn't count them so... And if you feel livestock shouldn't work the same and someones tank were to crash or something similar they would have no choice but to drop out.

I'm also inquiring because to be honest I've only recently become aware of the whole theme thing and I'm considering removing all livestock and starting over (just livestock though).
Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Steve,

I'm not arguing with ya; in fact we share the same point of view, however I'm trying to look at it in terms of the other contestants... I'd love to know that I might be able to toss that mag3 out for an OR3500 - however I'm sure other contestants would be quite upset if I went down that road, especially when the OR's by liveaquaria are cheaper than my used mag3...

Andy
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.