Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-30-2018, 02:39 PM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road

One other thing I am doing is reduced lighting by a couple hours and run blues only ,might help .
Old 11-30-2018, 07:30 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
Very good thread, a lot of help here, this will help many refers to come to!
Not an easy thing but you will win .
I’m batting a similar war . I haven’t gone to the black out yet, but I have hit them With peroxide as well as filtering as much of it out of the tank with filter floss daily, using my turkey baster and a very soft artist brush.
Get as much out of the system because they release poisons into the water carbon is a must .I added filter pads that removes po4 and one for no3 that I change every week.
Also I added to the rain of fire is two bacteria strains one for new rank other for breaking down wast,and 3 turbo snails and 2 emerald crabs.
Wet protein skimming all the time . I should have taken pictures but I’m on my way to defeating this beast.
Hope this will help a little keep at it !
RAZOR RAMON

I wouldn't bother with the blackout. In my experience and from what I have been reading it doesn't do much. It knocks them back for a day and that's about it. And if your corals are already stressed(which mine were) you will lose them.

I didn't have much luck with using the turkey baster on the rocks and sand originally. Just made them worse. Siphoning them out does help though.

Did the snails and crabs help at all? Mine won't eat the stuff.

Have the filter pads that removes po4 and one for no3 worked for you? My dino outbreak was caused from po4 and no3 being at or very near 0. It isn't until I have had them at 10ppm and 0.5ppm for a week that the dinos are disappearing.

I have been taking some photos along the way. I should post them..
Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

That’s great that your in range for your nutrient level. Hopefully you can continue to dose, keep them there and battle these out of your tank.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 PM

The system I have is new and a lot is going on . The corals are Zoas from another tank and already had algae on them so the Dino’s would attach to it . The crabs and snails eat the algae after the Dino’s are blown off .
The nitrate and phos pads are keeping the levels in check for algae blooms .
The bacteria,low blue light,dosing peroxide and filtering seems to be the answer to the Dino’s .
It is defiantly a balancing act between bacteria , algae’s , Dino’s .
I think it just takes time and the effort to work it out .
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 PM

Llorgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The system I have is new and a lot is going on . The corals are Zoas from another tank and already had algae on them so the Dino’s would attach to it . The crabs and snails eat the algae after the Dino’s are blown off .
The nitrate and phos pads are keeping the levels in check for algae blooms .
The bacteria,low blue light,dosing peroxide and filtering seems to be the answer to the Dino’s .
It is defiantly a balancing act between bacteria , algae’s , Dino’s .
I think it just takes time and the effort to work it out .

Interesting. The blue lights didn't do much for me in the fight against dinos. I never tried peroxide. I am kind of scared to try it.

I have been having good results so far with elevating nitrate and phosphate. The dinos are almost completely gone off the rocks, rocks are getting a nice coating of green on them with some hair algae here and there. There is still a light brown coating every day, but not long and stringy stuff like it was.

The sand is a bit more tricky it seems. Dinos are still growing on it, but not as quickly or as bad. I can see some white sand now. No other algae seems to be taking hold on the sand as of yet.

My nitrate and phosphate are high, but my chaeto seems to be shrinking. Any ideas on getting it growing? I would have assumed it would be growing pretty well with all the extra nutrients. I have a LED grow light above the refugium that comes on opposite of the display tank lights.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Chaeto can be temperamental at the best of times, that is why I use an ATS, never could get the chaeto to take off.

Sounds like you are winning the battle, competition is the key once you have a good balance in your tank the dinos will slowly recede. Dinos are usually around in most tanks but it is only under certain circumstances that they seem to grow out of control.

Slow and steady wins the race. Every day you are becoming a better reef tank aquarist. Good work in hanging in there.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:43 AM

Just keep at it as long as it’s going in a positive way . If not try something else .
3%Peroxide I dosed 2x recomeded dose because I have a lot of experience using it with my Zoas.
Safe dose is 5ml for 30 gallons of water . I did 10ml /30 gallons for 2 days then skipped a day then another 2 days for over a week . Added a lot of the bacteria in a bottle , two different types .
I’m keeping my nitrate and phosphate as low as I can . The clean up crew are eating the green stuff . Lot of turkey baster and filter floss to catch the particles.
Dino are about 95% done in green algae 80% consumed . I’m almost there Zoas are on the way to recovery .
I saw a huge move the right direction in my case when dosing the bacteria they consume the same food source as the Dino and the algae’s .
I also am using a rio hang on protein skimmer it dose skim a little I guess lol
Very wet skim like week tea .
I did put chetta from my main tanks sump in the aquarium under the light in one corner of the tank and added podes from my sons culture for his clowns.
I feel like you have to starve this bad stuff out , it’s a balance between a food source , bacteria , algea ,dinos. Remove the food have something to eat the sources. I’m not a expert and I’m learning as I go .
Like I said before so many good reefers here and they do help and have been trough it .
Old 12-06-2018, 06:14 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Don't worry right now about peroxide dosing or the fact that your chaeto is dying off.
Just keep your methods going forward.
Too many things at 1 time ...
Chaeto doesn't always live.
Stick with what you are doing for the next month.
Then make changes.
I've told you many times, slow and steady and nothing good happens fast in a reef tank :-)
Old 12-06-2018, 06:25 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just keep at it as long as it’s going in a positive way . If not try something else .
First off, that's the worst advice I've ever read. Try it 1 way but if it doesn't work, then go the other way ..

Secondly, you should keep your advice about peroxide away from people with new tanks.
Your advice is going to nuke new tanks

Watch what advice you give here as people trust this site and many of us here have years of knowledge.
We don't need you ruining the site reputation.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:06 PM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
First off, that's the worst advice I've ever read. Try it 1 way but if it doesn't work, then go the other way ..

Secondly, you should keep your advice about peroxide away from people with new tanks.
Your advice is going to nuke new tanks

Watch what advice you give here as people trust this site and many of us here have years of knowledge.
We don't need you ruining the site reputation.
not to pile on but I agree, especially in the case of Dinos where even being on the right path requires more than giving the system a few days to resolve things before changing tactics.
in a hobby that rewards consistency of practices and patience the worst advice I can think of is to encourage irritability.