Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604reefer View Post
No PO4 test kit , NO3 20ppm before WC and 5ppm after by the looks of it? Always hard to tell with the API kit and my eyes...
If you are reading detectable nitrate with the API kit you do not want to be adding nitrate to your system. At this stage you do not need to buy the Red Sea Pro Test kit as the API is fine for high levels of nitrate. Red Sea Pro is required only for testing low levels of nitrate below 2ppm. Your money could be used better elsewhere.

You need to get a good quality phosphate test kit and determine what your phosphates are. Never add nitrates or phosphates to your system without knowing what your parameters are and without having a specific goal.

Depending on what your phosphates are you may want to add a nitrate reducing system of some sort, you may need to add a phosphate reducing system (GFO) and more importantly look at your husbandry of your tank.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Just get some clams that will solve nitrate problems... brightwells has no3 brick aswell.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604reefer View Post
No PO4 test kit , NO3 20ppm before WC and 5ppm after by the looks of it? Always hard to tell with the API kit and my eyes...
Keep up with your current WC schedule and see if you can get your NO3 to near undetectable levels. I'd not worry about a quality test kit for now, but instead get a quality PO4 tester.
And ya, adding a Nitrogen source at this point is not recommended. I only brought it up as an option IF your levels started mimicking mine.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:10 PM

philg3 is on a distinguished road

Honestly try to just ride it out. I just started a 20 gallon tank about 4 months ago, so I'm around the same stage you are. I've been battling diatom blooms for the past 2 months, but from previous experience this is just a growing pain. Turning out the lights for a day helps if it's gotten out of control, but besides that just get a good mag float and clean the glass daily. Clean the sand bed with water changes.

One thing I've recently tried is LESS water changes. I was doing about a 25% water change weekly, and would always have a big diatom bloom afterwards. I was away last weekend and didn't do a water change, and the diatoms have actually slowed a lot, like almost negligible. This could be a caused by a couple of things;

From what I've read Diatoms need silicate to form, and every time I do a water change i kick up a whole bunch of sand. I probably could have been way more vigilant about rinsing the sand before i started the tank, so every time I'm trying to clean the tank I'm actually kicking up a bunch of stuff into the water column including a bunch of silicate from the sandbed (correct me if I'm way off here).

Also, I've got an RODI that's always read 0 TDS, but it's probably 5 years old and likely the DI resin has expired. I've read that with the DI expired you could be adding a bunch of silicates to the tank through the water change and top off water. Just something else that might explain why i always have a diatom bloom after a water change.

Either way my advice is not to do anything crazy at 4 months because you're having a diatom bloom. Don't start dosing vodka or doing anything drastic. Obviously a bigger skimmer always helps, but maybe just try lights out for a few days and pushing the water change for a week and see what happens.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

Some great advice, thank you!

I ended up ordering the dual NO3/PO4 red sea kit as it works out to only $17.65 for the NO3 if you're already buying a PO4 kit and it got me to free shipping which saved an extra $8.95.

Once I figure out the PO4 level I'll report back. I was just starting to go a bit crazy cleaning every day with the mag float and toothbrush lol.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

It is always important to know where you are before you start making changes.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:11 AM

takeastabatit22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
I agree with you 100%
Better skimming and possibly even a refugium is the way to go.

Once you get proper test kits for no3 po4 you can look into using red sea no3 p04 X or people call it nopox its bacteria that feeds on nitrates and phosphates, it also is used in many ways to eliminate algae and accelerate growth and colors of corals.
High accuracy test kits are a must.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I'm started nopo-x. It worked to well for my nitrates, keeps them undectable.so I'm now weaning off and phospats don't seem to be affected by the nopox.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk