Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 AM

SteveConn is on a distinguished road
Default Killing GSP

Kein, you wanted to know how I killed GSP (and severely damaged my leather toadstool)?
I made a bath for my new fish I thought I saw ich on. I used dechlorinated water (no salt), pH bablanced to match the tank (baking soda). To that I added methylene blue and formalin.

Some of my corals were looking like they were being attacked by something...and so I added Lugols to the water before adding the GSP and a small leather toadstool. About 5 min later I remembered what else I had in the water and put it all in a tank water bath!

The toadstool died down a bit but is now SLOWLY coming back, the GSP is long gone.

Not sure multitasking and my summer of crazy shift work were a good combo!

There you go.. how to kill softies. My guess is it was the formalin that was the biggest nail in its coffin
Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 AM

Default FTS

Right now I have 2 tanks up and running... 1st one I bought in June or July off Kijiji: 22g JBJ nano, the 2nd: a 12g JBJ nano. I have been buying a fair amount in anticipation of the 72g that I am now using the larger tank mostly for SPS and the smaller for LPS and softies.

Last shot is my tux urchin carrying around a frag of kenya tree

The tang was bought small..in anticipation of the larger tank....even still I realize I will need to sell it on the near future with the 72g.

The 22g has a phosphate reactor, ATO (Kalk/vinegar mix in RODI water), MP40 and ApexPro controller.. looks like a baby in an ICU ward. I cant wait for most if not all to be hidden away with the new setup.

Current params
Calcium 440
Alk 10/179ppm
Phosphate undetectable with API kit (reactor overkill anyway)
Nitrate/trite: 0
Temp 78F
Salinity 52.7
pH 8.07

Polyp extension is good, but noticed less on some of the corals in the past week ...likely due to a drop in KH from 12 down to 9 and Calcium from 480 to 420 in 4 days when I had an issue with dosing kalk/vin

Thanks to all of you that I have purchased corals from!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fts12g.jpg (51.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg fts 22g.jpg (57.2 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg zoas.jpg (54.9 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg urchin.jpg (51.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 11-19-2011, 03:59 AM

Default New tank design

Cant figure out yet how to post pics to see without a link...so its in my member gallery pics
Old 11-19-2011, 04:10 AM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road

[img][/img (add a ] after the [img) put this around the url
Old 11-19-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks Ryan!!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM

A lot has happened since my last post on this thread. Dave at Concept did a beautiful job on my 75g and sump. Love the look of a one piece eurobrace. Went straight to 2 Radions. Kevin and the team at Red Coral have been really invaluable for advice! (Thanks!)
In February I had to leave suddenly to attend my moms side after my step dad passed away. I knew I would stay there for a bit to support her, so had to combine my 2 nanos into the larger tank before I had plumbing set up (Deltec skimmer IN the tank, LARGE pail of Kalk/vinegar RODI mix dosing via ATO (purely evaporation based dosing). My mistake with that setup was adding Vodka to the mix. Had been doing that for a few weeks with success but in my rush, I added 3-4x the normal amount. When I arrived back, the tank was about to crash and the water was mily looking (bacterial explosion). I lost a few SPS, but most survived.
I've been buying coral like a madman... filled up the 3 nanos.. It took 12 hours to incorporate all this stuff into the larger tank (half filled with water because iof the skimmer needing to be IN the tank) without everything touching. And yes, I brought MORE coral back from Ontario, some from Reefermadness. That guy has a stunning tank, and worth the 2 hr drive to see it. Unfortunately, the insulated case cracked open at some point in the flight back, so I lost about 1/2 the corals due to cold shock.
Now, the tank is about 80% set up.... and we decide we are having a house built and moving to deep S. Calgary. My poor corals!
I may be selling some of the "extras" just to make the move easier.

So..after all this time, I know I can grow SPS well. Learned a lot from the setbacks. I wonder sometimes if working in healthcare gave me a little advantage in maintaining these high maintenance organisms?!

I'll post some pics soon.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 PM

Default Some pictures of where I'm at now

11 months since I started saltwater. 5 months since setting up the custom tank from Concept.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

That scoly is amazing man! Was nice meeting you tonight =)
Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 AM

LOL.. want to split it? I wanted to cut it, but dont have a fine enough saw... and it'd be a pricey experiment if it fails!

Great to meet you too. We'll have to swap a few corals after the move (if things survive!!)
Old 07-25-2015, 03:37 PM

This 75g is now for sale with sump and steel stand, starfire glass.. A beautiful job done by Concept, Daves first one piece Eurobrace.
It was a real showpiece when I lived in my condo, but have since moved on to a 7ft long 250g.

Paid 1400$ (the one piece Eurobrace was an expensive addon. Will sell for 900$

I can throw in some softies to get a new user started. Presently this tank is in my basement, clean and ready to go.
Plumbing on the tank is modular and detachable for transport.

I will post pics shortly.

Steve