Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Sooooo...I walk by the tank, and I figure oh what the heck, and flip the power switch. It turned on!!!! I ran it for a few minutes, and I'm all hmm... I switch it to pulse flow, and it jams up right away. Took me another 5 mins to get it running on steady flow again. It turns out when it jams up it starts easier when I use the switch (it's on a DJ power bar) rather than unplugging it from the adapter. So now it's running still for maybe 5 mins. *fingers crossed* Maybe I'll try pulse mode tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Build quality seems a little cheaper than Tunze and Vortech though, I still would'nt go back to them. Especially the Tunze, takes up to much room in tank and ugly looking
You like the look of Gyres? I think they're uglier than the rest of them. This freaking thing takes up half the back wall of the tank!

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This freaking thing takes up half the back wall of the tank!
Sounds like you need a bigger tank
Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Sounds like you need a bigger tank
Not at all. I have enough fun cleaning everyone elses' big tanks.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

I have the same issue, with the cord, the gyre is about a year old, contacted support and they told me "can send you to j&l for a new motor block", so pretty much have to spend 50$ on it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 PM
The Don

Galizio is on a distinguished road

[quote=Myka;973748]Sooooo...I walk by the tank, and I figure oh what the heck, and flip the power switch. It turned on!!!! I ran it for a few minutes, and I'm all hmm... I switch it to pulse flow, and it jams up right away. Took me another 5 mins to get it running on steady flow again. It turns out when it jams up it starts easier when I use the switch (it's on a DJ power bar) rather than unplugging it from the adapter. So now it's running still for maybe 5 mins. *fingers crossed* Maybe I'll try pulse mode tomorrow...

had a lots of issue with this pump, as soon a little snail gets in they jam, one of the issue had to deal with was the bushing piece, a like3-4 $ piece , they strips really easy and make the pump not working properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
So I have this gen 1 Gyre XF150. The cord cracked (common gen 1 issue). Waited WEEKS for an email reply to get a new motor block. Nothing. This is back in early November.

I get the new one and where the cord goes into the motor block the cord casing isn't inserted, so the wires inside are showing.

I'm about to lose my mind over this. Any ideas??? Is it from water get in to the bare wires where I siliconed it (it's not a perfect seal)???
Yow, those photos don't inspire much confidence in the build quality. So much for UL or CSA standards. I mean really! You don't even require an electrical engineer on the design team to know that you need a certain specification of cable when building something that will be submerged in salt water and/or subject to intense lighting! And a new motor block with the wiring already damaged? I have a decade old AquaClear powerhead pushing water to my skimmer running on 120VAC & the cord going into the motor block is still supple & uncompromised! Not sure why you would choose to silicone the wire rather than get that motor replaced as well?

Ok, with my Captain Obvious impersonation out of the way, let's see if I can offer some useful input to this dilemma. I understand these are low voltage DC motors, so hopefully not that much danger of electrocution, sparks or fire! I suspect that the wiring inside the motor housing where you can't see is epoxied to isolate the electrons from the surrounding elements, so while the silicone may provide some mechanical strain relief, it may not actually be required for water proofing. But that's a wild guess & you can't know until you take it apart further, probably destructively. Either way, I wouldn't be comfortable running an electric motor in salt water with that kind of sub par cable.

With respect to the intermittent operation (possibly solved now by playing with DJ power bar switch?), since there is a controller involved with feedback wiring from the motor, any number of components could be at fault. I won't mention software since I was dead wrong on that with your last little electrical episode! However, it still could be something in the controller, but judging by the cable issue & the propensity for these gadgets to get clogged, it probably is with the motor/propeller/cages/bushings......
One other thing you could try is instead of powering it from the DJ power bar with switch, try plugging the power supply directly into an outlet. That will at the very least rule out the power bar or switch.

Good luck with this one too, but if it was me, that thing would be in the trash! Regardless of whether it moves water more to one's preference than say a Tunze or VorTech, you gotta know when to say uncle on a product. (Title of the thread! do it..)

Last edited by mike31154; 12-13-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Yow, those photos don't inspire much confidence in the build quality. So much for UL or CSA standards. I mean really! [...] Not sure why you would choose to silicone the wire rather than get that motor replaced as well?
I know, eh?! I siliconed it because I was tired of waiting for customer service. I just wanted to try it out in my tank. I can pull the silicone off pretty easily.

I don't think it will electrocute anything, or I would have already got zapped. I got zapped pretty good by a clients' tank last week, and I'm pretty sure it's clear enough in my mind to remember how it feels. It's unplugged right now though, and I'm waiting for customer service again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154
Good luck with this one too, but if it was me, that thing would be in the trash! Regardless of whether it moves water more to one's preference than say a Tunze or VorTech, you gotta know when to say uncle on a product. (Title of the thread! do it..)
The customer service is what's killing me. I waited to see what everyone was saying about the Gyre, and everyone seemed pretty happy over the last year or so. But me? Yeah, if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:08 PM

So today, I screwed around trying to get it running again, and no go. I got it running for 5 mins once, but that was it. So I figured oh what the heck, and put the original motor back on it, and it works fine. It's running in there now. Pretty sweet new motor block...

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:27 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

After everything I've read in this thread about Gyre I'm glad I only thought about buying one. I'll stick to the Vortech's I like the cord on the outside, out of the water.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 PM

Gooly001 is on a distinguished road

I've found that the Canadian distributor for Maxspect are very quick in shipping out the replacement parts. Usually got mine within a couple days of registering probpem. Maybe some lfs are dealing with coral vue directly and therefore logistics to get parts are a bit more of an effort due to shipping and cross border paperwork?