Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-10-2002, 01:51 PM

mutabaruka is on a distinguished road
Default A lighting question

I would like to pick everyone's brains if I can.(actually my kids think I should just pick one and stick with it!)

I have a 36" 95G acrylic hex tank. I am at odds how best to light it. As of now I have just a few fish in it, 90" of live rock, and a 4" LSB. I am going to be adding corals, as I feel more confident and learn more about which animals I will add, probably mostly softies, xenia and maybe an anemone if suitable. I am currently running 2x55W PC's, and want to add some MH or Radium. The challenge comes in the available space. Since it is a hex tank, the space I have to work with on the top is approx. 24"(back to front) x 14.5" (each panel is 14.5")

If any of you have any suggestions or experience that would help I would be most grateful!

Brian
Old 08-10-2002, 02:43 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

I'd say your choice is simple, one 400W MH bulb in a pendant. You can keep the pc bulbs for actinic supplementation.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:46 PM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

My response is similar to Troy's

I would add either a 250w but a 400w would be better because of the depth and keep your pc's and add actinic bulbs in them.BOOM you got your self some decent lighting!
Old 08-10-2002, 08:33 PM

clintyiu is on a distinguished road

Now that I have seen a radium bulb in action I would never go back to Iwasaki unless it is for a grow out tank. The Radium bulb really suits a deep hex tank since you don't need any supplemental actinics. This makes lighting simple. I am not sure if you can orient the bulb vertically but you have enough width for a horizontal bulb pendant. And since the radium bulb is really strong in the blue end of the spectrum I found that the light disperses better across and reaches deeper in my tank than the Iwasaki.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:49 AM

Clint, how long have you been using the Radium? What is their life expectancy?
Old 08-11-2002, 03:26 AM

Troy,

I have just started using the Radium so life expectancy is a question on my mind too. Hopefully the blueline ballast helps here. You've probably read that they will last about six months with core and coil and 10-12 (even 14) months with a e-ballast.

Whether or not a "used" radium still has more blue spectrum than other bulbs is another question.

Clint
Old 08-11-2002, 03:35 AM

Thanks Clint. I actually haven't followed much of the lighting talk lately. I've seen some pics of the Radium and they sure look great. Are you using an electronic ballast?
Old 08-11-2002, 04:08 AM

mutabaruka is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I have to say that's the way I was leaning. 400W 6500k. Would there be any advantage to going to Radium? or two 400W bulbs?

Brian
Old 08-11-2002, 04:14 AM

Yeah a 400w blueline E-ballast. It was back ordered for over 6 months. The exchange and brokerage broke my bank!

I hope someone finds a better alternative to getting stuff from the states. This ballast is probably made in china (it has chinese inspection stickers) and probably costs no more than $30 wholesale! arghh
Old 08-11-2002, 04:43 AM

The advantage in using 2 bulbs would be twice the light but with a 400W bulb you'll have plenty of light. I think you'd be wasting a second bulb because of the light spread. The Radium bulb is a much more pleasing colour of bulb than the Iwasaki. With a Radium you could forgo the supplemental actinics.

EDIT: I should add that the trade off when using the Radium over the Iwasaki is bulb life and intensity.

[ 10 August 2002, 12:44: Message edited by: Troy F ]