Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 02-14-2013, 03:11 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Hoping one of you that own one of these might be able to help. Considered starting my own thread but opted for a highjack. I was really on the fence with that. Anyway. I have been eyeing this skimmer for my current tank. I think it will fit but its going to be tight. I have tried to find more detailed dimensions other then 11"X11" footprint. Attatched is a picture of my sump. The opening in the second chamber is 10"X11.75" . Below the "sock rack" it extends to 15". Now the water level in the chamber will be about 10" (the hight where the socks will sit to try to reduce noise, hopefully this will work, at least it does in my head, might have to put another lip to allow for when the socks plug up a bit, thats another thread, man, ramble.) so I will have to have the skimmer on a bit of a stand but I figure I can tuck the pump under the sock rack side and have enough room around the body so it still fits. Anyone have any other thoughts?

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 03-16-2013, 04:02 AM

Phil is on a distinguished road

just picked mine up today from redcoral

Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

jealous! mine arrives tuesday.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I'm waiting for the 125 to come out. Hopefully buy early summer
Old 04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I was getting pretty annoyed at how often this thing would overflow. It seemed very sensitive but there was obviously not enough load with just my rock to do this skimmer justice. I added my livestock last night and this morning there's already an inch of nog in the cup and the foam head is very stable. By default my chamber is 10 inches deep so I'm not expecting dark skimmate but I'll let it do its thing for a bit before deciding whether I'll raise the unit up.

Really impressed with build quality!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 PM

sirruckus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum14 View Post
Hoping one of you that own one of these might be able to help. Considered starting my own thread but opted for a highjack. I was really on the fence with that. Anyway. I have been eyeing this skimmer for my current tank. I think it will fit but its going to be tight. I have tried to find more detailed dimensions other then 11"X11" footprint. Attatched is a picture of my sump. The opening in the second chamber is 10"X11.75" . Below the "sock rack" it extends to 15". Now the water level in the chamber will be about 10" (the hight where the socks will sit to try to reduce noise, hopefully this will work, at least it does in my head, might have to put another lip to allow for when the socks plug up a bit, thats another thread, man, ramble.) so I will have to have the skimmer on a bit of a stand but I figure I can tuck the pump under the sock rack side and have enough room around the body so it still fits. Anyone have any other thoughts?

I just made the chamber in my sump for this skimmer - 14" x 12" is what I gave it for room - so you should be good, you might find yourself assembly the pump to the body once the skimmer is placed in the sump because of your sock holder
Old 05-15-2013, 02:53 AM

dream seeker is on a distinguished road

I just bought a new omega 150 and self cleaning head by vertex, hope it will increase 75% performance. It Costed $215 with motor and lid, it takes 3 days order from J&L. Thanks Jeff!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:52 PM

IMCochrane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
thinking of running a Vertex Omega 150 Protein Skimmer on my new setup and thought id ask if anyone had any experance with one?
heres a link
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...n+Skimmer.html

I bought one from jl aquatics about 4 months ago, pin wheel just failed this morning, hopefully jl takes care of me, I will let everyone know
Old 12-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCochrane View Post
I bought one from jl aquatics about 4 months ago, pin wheel just failed this morning, hopefully jl takes care of me, I will let everyone know
I have read tons of reviews and this is an on-going issue with them. Other than the pin wheel issue, they are well built and work very well. The customer service for replacing the pin wheel have been excellent from what I have read.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCochrane View Post
I believe vertex has fixed this issue on new models