Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 04-23-2011, 04:42 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
Wow, this is a very good read, an eye opener and grounding for sure. Brings all the hype about "new" and "latest &greatest" right down.

LOL i might just boost up a flow a little on my large DIY downdraft air driven skimmer and be on par with BK on TOC removal ! LOL, because my skimmer is driven by a huge air pump, and 2 air stones last up to 6 month. A waist cup wash on it takes less time to clean then on my Deltec MCE600

According to the article, you will probably get the same or better results - and at a fraction of the cost! Also, air driven skimmers have the reputation (whether accurate or not is up for debate) of being easier on the planktonic organisms we (and our inverts) love.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:57 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Is yours the Extreme or the cone model?
I am debating between these two a Vortex 180 and a SKIMZ SM 121 MONZTER
on a 80 gallon with 30 gallon sump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
SWC 160 it kept up with my 150 gal tank that i had with a30 gal sump,
alot better made
and alot easier to dial in
you can run in high and low water
dead silent
small foot print.

if you haven't yet PM Doug on can reef he had he is selling his he has down graded and does not need a skimmer. probably get a good price for it.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
Is yours the Extreme or the cone model?
I am debating between these two a Vortex 180 and a SKIMZ SM 121 MONZTER
on a 80 gallon with 30 gallon sump.
Here is what i like about skimz sm 121:
Technical Data:

* Skimmer pump: 1 Skimz ES2000 needle wheel - MADE IN ITALY
* Power consumption: 12W
* Air intake: 540 l/h
Looking at the picture it is clear that skimz pump is out of the air mixing chamber and that design feature is better then BM NAC's or SWC. Their pumps are all inside mixing chamber ant that will reduce water/air contact time as well as capacity of the skimmer. If you look at all these (NAC's and SWC ) pictures and videos you will see that area around the pump is never filled with bubbles so this space is wasted. In Skimz,circ pump is below that mixing chamber (which makes the unit slightly higher but that is OK if it fits in )

Also looks like mesh wheels getting plugged up with debris and are worn out in short time, so needle-wheel is better choice for reliability long term. Other then that its very similar to Babble Magus NAC6 skimmer. I have been on this subject for a few month now. Watched and red about all of whats available on the web.
My thinking is that i want skimmer with largest possible water/air mixing chamber to fit in my sump, with most amount of air coming in and at lowest power consumption.
Must be silent, pump and or impellers must be available here (for replacement parts) and has to be at $250 price range or less for a new one at my door.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

ya that skimz skimmer is a wicked looking skimmer
Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALang View Post
I checked mine: 4" across the neck. (NAC 7).
Can you please check what is the height of the rising tube from bubble diffuser plate to the bottom of the collection cup neck?
I am considering this skimmer and would like to know what is the size of the mixing chamber.
Also what is the diameter just above bubble diffuser?

There is a new skimmer on the block 2011 Marine color CPS-150 that is very similar to NAC7 but they changed a water effluent tube, made it few inches higher which will make it more consistent in regards to a water level and more stable. looks very similar to a HERO line skimmers.

Thank you so much.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I recently got a SWC 120 Cone for my nano because of the impressively tiny footprint, and I'm quite impressed with it. I pulled my EuroReef RS-180 off my 90 reef (w about 15 in the sump), and put the SWC in there just to check it out. The SWC pulls about 2/3 the skimmate (at similar coloration) that the RS-180 pulls, and the SWC is deadly silent. Believe it or not I can hear the Tunze 6055 in my tank switching from high flow to low flow over everything else in the tank now, and i'm sure you guys know how quiet that is.

SWC rates this 120 Cone for 90 gallons at a light bioload, 70 for medium, and 55 for heavy. I would say that isn't too bad for manufacturer recommendations. My tank is medium-light and the skimmer isn't quite enough to keep up, although I'm rather picky.

I was wanting to replace my EuroReef with a Bubble King, but now I think I'm going to use a SWC 160 or 180 Cone instead because of performance and silence. Unless of course I find a screaming deal on a Bubble King that I just can't pass up.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-02-2011 at 03:48 AM.