Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road
Default NEW SWC Extreme 160 Cone review

I Should be getting my new skimmer next week, and I will be doing a full review of it on here.

The one I have chosen is the new Xtreme 160 Cone from Salt Water Connection

Skimmer Link
http://saltwaterconnection.com/index...roducts_id=116

I was really torn weather to just stick with what I have, which is a trusty EuroReef RS100, which has always worked awsome, and still does, my only complaint with it is more to do with my set up than the skimmer itself.

With the way my sump is under my stand and the comaprtment the skimmer it is in (and it's larger footprint) it makes it a pain taking it out to clean every 6 months or so when it needs a thourough cleaning.

So it's time to clean the skimmer again which got me thinking about some of the new ones with smaller footprints and the 'internal" type pump design. This should be much easier to put in and out of the sump and the performance is suppose to be great.

And for the great price Jayson has them at, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. He's also a Canadian Company which is also a big plus for me, being a business owner myself.

Skimmer should be here early next week so i will keep you posted with more pictures and a review to follow....

Todd
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin

Last edited by TJSlayer; 02-26-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Sorry Title Should be SWC Extreme
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Right on Todd. I,m adding one to my tank also. Talked with Jayson a few days ago to see if they were in stock. Just have to get in there to pick it up.

Reviews on RC look pretty good.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Looking forward to doing the review!

If a mod could change the title to SWC instead of SCW I would appreciate it, can't seem to change it myself.....
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 02-27-2010, 05:44 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSlayer View Post
And for the great price Jayson has them at, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. He's also a Canadian Company which is also a big plus for me, being a business owner myself.
Where is the company located?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Fixed it Todd.

SWC is in Winnipeg.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks Doug!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Well after some confusion and shipping errors, I should have the skimmer sometime today, but that's assuming that UPS can actually deliver anything on time...

Was suppose to be here before noon, Purolator was here at 10 am as per usually, but haven't seen UPS yet. The funniest part is checking tracking shows coming from Winnipeg to Saskatoon then to Winnipeg, but doesn't show Regina as of yet and after phoning they couldn't tell me where it was...

So not holding my breath on getting it in a doing the start of the review this weekend, which is truly unfortunate as I had the weekend off for once.

Hopefully I can get the time needed next week..
Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM

Woo Hoo , Got the Skimmer today so should be able to start the review tonight!

First thoughts and the thing I have noticed is the build quality, so far very impressed. Looks like a really well built skimmer. Doesn’t give the impression of being a economical alternative by any means.

I will take some detail photos and such tonight, and start the review, but so far so good!

TJ
Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Allright, can't wait to read the review

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 AM

First I will show you the old skimmer in sump, so you can see the space I'm dealing with, also you can see what a week’s worth of skimate looks like coming from the Euroreef RS100 .... Dark, Dark greenish black sludge, I also run the euro on the dry side so I usually empty the skimmer cup 1-2 times per week

Now on to the new guy...

Ok we'll start with packaging.....

Skimmer arrived very well packed in heavy cardboard box surrounded by closed cell foam...

Inside contents including FREE T-shirt!

Next we'll look at the collection cup, nice and heavy acrylic, every bit as thick as the Euroreef cup.

Instead of a twist lock design to remove the cup this one is a simple press fit with a o-ring in a recessed groove to provide a good seal. Works very well and extremely easy to remove. Also provides a good solid seal.

Looks like a nice sized opening inside for easy cleaning as well, my hands are smaller so the opening size is good for me but someone with larger hands may like the opening size on the regular extreme 160 skimmer (non-cone shaped), which is a bit larger. Overall the cup size is very close to the Euroreef RS100, which hasn't been an issue for me and I don't foresee this one to be either...

Here is a good look at the bottom of the valve that adjusts water level, there is a knob on top that you turn that simply rotate the wedged pvc in the riser tube, the best part is that it come off by simply unscrewing the top so it can easily be cleaned, and makes adjusting water level a snap!

This is knob to make the adjustments

The bottom piece that simply slides into pump opening again with a nice o-ring to provide a good seal...

And the wedge assembly removed...

This is how the pump is mounded to the base plate. Easily removed for cleaning with heavy duty plastic screws...

A quick picture to show everything taken apart so you can see how easy cleaning will be....

And a nice close up the impeller. Mesh wheel mod (produces crazy amount of bubbles) all sealed up and a ceramic shaft as well. Very similar to all decent skimmer pumps!

Everything assembled again except the skimmer cup, notice that the discharge port is nice and low on the column, this allows for the water to exit the skimmer under the water level which helps keep things quite. As a matter of fact that's the first thing I noticed after firing things up is how quite the skimmer runs, and well the crazy amounts of bubbles......

Complete and ready for the sump...

Relocated, and mission accomplished - very easy to get into sump, so removing for cleaning will be very easy as well

As with all skimmers this will take a few days to break in but so far things look great, it's very quiet, seems to create massive amounts of bubbles and build quality is excellent. I will post more pictures in the days to come and update from time to time as the weeks go on, but my initial impression is very positive.

One other things that I want to mention is that I had a little trouble getting this when I was expecting it, but it was more to do with a few small mix ups and then the courier services.

Even though Jayson (owner of SWC) was on vacation in Bali, he made sure his staff took care of things for me and had things fixed right at no cost to me very quickly. So far they have been a really good company to deal with.

Anyone looking for a great skimmer, without breaking the bank really should check out the offerings they have, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

TJ