Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 11-22-2009, 04:22 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to try putting the collection cup back on last night and this morning I am happy to see it didn't overflow and is actually skimming quite dry. I expected it to be skimming very wet. It could be better but Im not complaining considering its a nano skimmer.

I still have to work out the micro bubbles in the display.

Here are a few pictures:

This is what you see from the front of the tank:

Side (it has been running with the cup for about 8 hours now):

Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Yesterday at 9:00am I posted a question on the Euro-Reef Nano website. By 11:00 Robbert, the owner, called me from California. We had a 20 minute discussion on skimmers, weather, the economy and politics.

He asked me to send him some photos of my tank and setup to ensure that his designs for a 39G Cad Signature would work. By 4:30 in the afternoon he confirmed that his original design was not going to conflict with any of the equipment I have installed and that he was going to build a batch of skimmers for this tank configuration.

Now that is customer service! I have now placed an order through Ocean Aquatics. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Yesterday at 9:00am I posted a question on the Euro-Reef Nano website. By 11:00 Robbert, the owner, called me from California. We had a 20 minute discussion on skimmers, weather, the economy and politics.

He asked me to send him some photos of my tank and setup to ensure that his designs for a 39G Cad Signature would work. By 4:30 in the afternoon he confirmed that his original design was not going to conflict with any of the equipment I have installed and that he was going to build a batch of skimmers for this tank configuration.

Now that is customer service! I have now placed an order through Ocean Aquatics. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks.
I agree. I emailed him last night and he gave me a call this morning (sunday)to make sure I was happy with the skimmer. I have spoken to him over the phone a few times now about the skimmer and he's a great guy.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I already fixed the micro bubble problem for the most part. I have LR rubble and chaeto in the middle which helps but now I also put a piece of eggcrate ontop of that and put my bag of carbon on it. It traps a lot of the bubbles.
I am trying to figure out the location of the outflow from your photos, but I just do not see it?

I used sponge on a previous micro bubble maker like you mentioned. That seemed to work well.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I am trying to figure out the location of the outflow from your photos, but I just do not see it?

I used sponge on a previous micro bubble maker like you mentioned. That seemed to work well.
The Solana has 3 chambers in the back. The overflow on the left pushes the water down to the bottom of the first chamber where the skimmer is. Then the output water from the skimmer goes over the top of the first chamber and down into the second chamber and from there under to the last chamber. So under, over, under like you may do the baffles in a sump...but in a AIO, that doesn't work if the skimmer is already INSIDE one of the baffles! There should be baffles before the return pump if they had really thought of the design well. There is probably just enough room to do this in the Solana.

Anyways, I have added filter floss to the top of the second chamber right at the top of the water level. It traps almost all the bubbles although some of the finest ones still escape.

I don't like that I have to change the floss every few days but it collects all kind of other crap too, so I guess its worth it. If I were away for a few days, I would remove the floss. It could get really backed up.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:17 PM

The CadLights has 4 chambers but the skimmer has to fit in chamber 2. So it also only has 2 chambers left for bubbles to be removed.

In my previous post I was really meaning to ask where the outflow from the skimmer is. I see one hose but I though that was the air intake?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm considering using the EuroReef Nano on my 20g with sump. I see Ocean Aquatics has a bunch of different designs to us with the different Nano AIO's. Anyone know which one I would use just simply for in-sump? It's not much cheaper than the RS-80 though, so I may just go with that tried and true option.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Anyone know which one I would use just simply for in-sump? It's not much cheaper than the RS-80 though, so I may just go with that tried and true option.
Try sending a note directly to Robbert. You will find their address on this website: http://www.nanoreefsystems.com/index.asp He might even give you a phone call!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I'm considering using the EuroReef Nano on my 20g with sump. I see Ocean Aquatics has a bunch of different designs to us with the different Nano AIO's. Anyone know which one I would use just simply for in-sump? It's not much cheaper than the RS-80 though, so I may just go with that tried and true option.
You may just want to go with the RS-80 if you can. Really the ER nano skimmers are only great if you have an AIO tank and have no choice but to use a skimmer only a few inches in diameter. They are great for AIO because they work well and fit in the back...but if you compare them to something like the RS-80, they wouldn't compete I don't think.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Thanks Oscar! I will do that.

GSP, ya that's what I'm thinking. Although the tank will probably only be about 25 gallons including the sump, so the RS-80 would be quite serious. I'm not sure it would fit in the stand either now that I think of it. I should measure.

SPS fanatic.