Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I would say that if you have something and it dies, then unfortunately it must stay deducted from you budget. However, if you sell something, or trade it, you probably should be able to add to your budget, or have no impact on your budget. Again, JDigital gets final say, as its his contest.

A tank crash is a different story though, and I don't really know how to consider it. I do know that in the nano-reef contest, those that suffered a crash, were considered to have "dropped-out" in the sense that they could no longer compete for the prize, but they could still continue to participate in all other senses.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Quote "I'm also inquiring because to be honest I've only recently become aware of the whole theme thing and I'm considering removing all livestock and starting over (just livestock though)."

So early in the game and with changes up in the air, what harm is there in pulling what you've put in and replacing it with something different.

The theme thing was announced on Oct 14th. Really, you should log on and check Canreef a little more often.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
I would say that if you have something and it dies, then unfortunately it must stay deducted from you budget. However, if you sell something, or trade it, you probably should be able to add to your budget, or have no impact on your budget. Again, JDigital gets final say, as its his contest.

A tank crash is a different story though, and I don't really know how to consider it. I do know that in the nano-reef contest, those that suffered a crash, were considered to have "dropped-out" in the sense that they could no longer compete for the prize, but they could still continue to participate in all other senses.
That's pretty much how I feel about it..

If a piece of your livestock dies, my condolences , but you have to keep it deducted from the your budget, whether it dies of natural reasons, or you stocked your tank wrong and it gets killed, etc etc.. If you trade a coral or want to remove one (or more) that's fine you can recoup the cost of that coral.

As for tank crashes, let's hope no one has one, first of all.

I think how Nano-reef dealed with tank crashes was that if it crashed, and you were not able to get it back up and running by the next monthly update (15th of Every month for us) then by the rules, those people are out of the contest.

I don't know how you guys want to work this, I'm open to suggestions, just keep em simple.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Personally, I think if sphelps wants to swap out his whole livestock at this point - fair game; first mandated FTS is Nov 15th... As that date hasn't arrived as of yet - anything he's provided us is just gravy for our enjoyment...

I see no reason why he can't do a complete livestock rework without penalty.
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Steve,

I'm not arguing with ya; in fact we share the same point of view, however I'm trying to look at it in terms of the other contestants... I'd love to know that I might be able to toss that mag3 out for an OR3500 - however I'm sure other contestants would be quite upset if I went down that road, especially when the OR's by liveaquaria are cheaper than my used mag3...

Andy
Wasn't arguing with you either
Old 10-27-2008, 05:44 PM

I agree with the livestock death thing but unfortunately a person could just replace the item anyway so does that really even work? But that's cool we can keep it like that, I know it's all honor system.

So removing coral and deducting from budget is OK then, provided they are alive? Even after NOV 15th? I'm just concerned some corals may cause problems and may need to be removed and I'm wondering if I can gamble or should play it safe. Also if something did die the person could not only just replace the item they could simply say they removed or traded it.

I'm sorry I missed the theme thing, I have been checking Canreef all the time as I'm sure most of you can tell. That thread just slipped through the cracks, I was seriously wondering what the heck was with all these tank names, lol. And although I'm not sure on a theme yet I would really like to do one.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Yea, I personally don't see anything wrong with removing coral granted it is alive and well. Even after Nov 15th.. I personally don't think I will have anything in the tank other than maybe a couple snails and crabs by the 15th.. LOL

I was thinking that there should be a "Lockout" point later in the contest (2nd to last month) where nothing can be removed (unless it dies) but that would be a change in the rules yet again.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
but that would be a change in the rules yet again.
Yeah lets not do that again! Rome wasn't built in a day people.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:43 AM

So a question regarding some livestock pricing. LPS corals are listed as $20 for large and $15 for small. So would this apply for lobos, open brains, torch corals, hammer corals, and favites? And what's small and what's large? I want to tread lightly the second time around and avoid any disputes, if possible.

Also what would a single polyp of dendro run for?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
So a question regarding some livestock pricing. LPS corals are listed as $20 for large and $15 for small. So would this apply for lobos, open brains, torch corals, hammer corals, and favites? And what's small and what's large? I want to tread lightly the second time around and avoid any disputes, if possible.

Also what would a single polyp of dendro run for?

Thanks
For stuff like hammer, torch, frogspawn.. stuff will long polyps that reach out:
Small <3"
Large >3"

For things like Brains, lobos, plate-ish stuff:
Small 1.5-2.5"
Large is 3"+

As for Dendro, its not on either JL or LA, so I found it elsewhere for $15-30 per polyp... so for our purposes... $7/polyp 50% off.