Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Running a pump dry is never a good idea, even as a method of preventing a flood. While many modern pumps have thermal protection to trip power when they run dry or overheat, you're still risking a fire. Your hardwood floors won't get warped, but the house could burn down. So good call on some sort of float switch to cut power as a safety measure.

Last edited by mike31154; 07-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey8 View Post
If you order the nano overflow box / slimline design, make sure you get the black color as they advertise. I got the clear plastic one and when I asked why, I got a response from Jeff (the owner) "no matter black or clear, it will eventually cover with algae anyway" I didn't want to argue about it at that time, but I know the box should come as he has advertised. Also, I paid an extra $19 for the silencer and $10 for an extra U tube as he insisted, but I actually never needed them. The silencer, have it or not, it doesn't make very much difference with the noise. I had to pay $30 for the shipping as well, which cost a little too much for just an overflow box.
Anyway, I am happy with the quality of this overflow box. But if I had known there was the Eshopp box around that has the same design like Lifereef, I would have saved more than half of the money by not buying this overpriced overflow box from him.
I also had a bad experience purchasing my overflow from Jeff. I can't recommend dealing with him. In hindsight, I should have bought Eshopp's instead.

The silencer is garbage. I ended up just making a hofer gurgle buster myself, which worked 10x better and it didn't cost $20.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=esh-ofnan

This is exactly what you need.
SET UP PROPERLY, you should NEVER get a break in siphon.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=esh-ofnan

This is exactly what you need.
SET UP PROPERLY, you should NEVER get a break in siphon.
You are fighting the good fight, sir

The only reason HOB overflows have a bad rep is because people use them incorrectly.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 PM

04V10 is on a distinguished road

What pump would you guys recommend that I put in the sump? It is going to be 3' under the display tank. Would a Mag 250 suffice? Or should I get something a little beefier and use that like a 500 or even 700? I was thinking about putting a T on the outlet of the pump to put back to the refugium section for added flow there.

Thanks for all the great replies guys! I think I will get the Eshopp's model and go from there.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04V10 View Post
What pump would you guys recommend that I put in the sump? It is going to be 3' under the display tank. Would a Mag 250 suffice? Or should I get something a little beefier and use that like a 500 or even 700? I was thinking about putting a T on the outlet of the pump to put back to the refugium section for added flow there.

Thanks for all the great replies guys! I think I will get the Eshopp's model and go from there.
If you are getting the Eshopps 200 GPH HOB overflow, I would get a Mag 350. It puts out 250 - 300 GPH at 3' head, so you will have to use a valve to choke it back. The Mag 250 is a bit weak, and you want to be sure that you can put enough flow through it to prevent air bubbles from building up and breaking the siphon.

Also, put a cover on the overflow box on the inside of the tank to prevent snails from climbing in and breaking the siphon.