Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
You don't have enough in your tank then, ha ha! I have three dogs by the way.
hmm 150 gal total water btween two display tanks and a sump, packed full of SPS and a few fish.. what more did I need? I think a lot of it was because of lots of flow, over sized skimmer, Ca reactor, Kalk reactor, UV, chiller, ect... that I didn't have to worry about doseing which to me is a huge PITA. my theory has always been to use lots and big equipment to make my job less. and once the tank was set up and established it was something to look at, not something to work on.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 PM

zeddy is on a distinguished road

i find this is more of an obsession than a hobby, but when people come over and look at my tank with aw it makes it all worth it
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Try this one:

Obsession - the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

I think that sums it up.
100% agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_bs View Post
This is not a hobby. It's an addiction, like crack. Must have. Need it. Want it.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
Just think of how much more active your brain is now compared to before....at least you have something healthy to think about all the time to keep the ol' neurons sparking....good way to keep the amnesia and dimensia away haha but meanwhile you suffer a bad case of insomnia.
Hey, I always knew I was smrt, this proves it I do agree with the sleepless nights, I've had many of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
I tell newbies or non-reefers that "Crack is a cheaper addiction."
Waaaayyyyyy cheaper
Old 04-08-2010, 09:18 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
. my theory has always been to use lots and big equipment to make my job less. and once the tank was set up and established it was something to look at, not something to work on.

Steve
I share this exact philosophy :-D

I will admit that I am a little obessed with the philosophy :-)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Reefing is definitely not a hobby. I compare reefing to keeping pets (cat, dog, etc.). Basically you are taking care of some live animals, doesn't matter it's a fish, a coral or a cat. You try to provide the best environment you can, do the best you can to take care of them and see they grow. It's more involving than a hobby, IMO.
+1, this is more like a combination of gardening and animal husbandry. Actually, that's exactly what this is. Animal garden husbandry... I can't have been the first person to think of that
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

I think all people are susceptible to obsessions and maybe men even more so. Is it a hobby? Right up to the moment before it becomes an obsession. If you can walk that razors edge then you can call it a hobby but once you lean back in that chair paste the point that you can no longer catch yourself you have slipped into obsession.

I think that we should ban together and look for support (financial), possibly government subsidized to get some help.

The truth is we find things to occupy our time. I don't watch sports and could not imagine devoting 3hrs on a Sunday to watch football. Is an hour of tank maintenance really that unrealistic for all the joy and serenity an aquarium brings us.

Anyway my two thoughts.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.

Last edited by plutoniumJoe; 04-10-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:16 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Does it really matter? It's an activity you do.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
hmm 150 gal total water btween two display tanks and a sump, packed full of SPS and a few fish.. what more did I need? I think a lot of it was because of lots of flow, over sized skimmer, Ca reactor, Kalk reactor, UV, chiller, ect... that I didn't have to worry about doseing which to me is a huge PITA. my theory has always been to use lots and big equipment to make my job less. and once the tank was set up and established it was something to look at, not something to work on.

Steve
I agree, and I have a similar setup with a 180 and a 90 and lots of gear (Only I dose two part instead of reactors). My problem is I can't just look at it! I have to be tweaking and changing, I always see an idea for improvement or a way of making it better, and I just can't rest until I try it out. My dogs are my pets, they're like a part of the family, I just don't see my tanks the same way. I see reefing as a challenge, one which you never master but you always have another idea that will get you as close to perfection as the wallet (and the Wife) will allow.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:02 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree, and I have a similar setup with a 180 and a 90 and lots of gear (Only I dose two part instead of reactors). My problem is I can't just look at it! I have to be tweaking and changing, I always see an idea for improvement or a way of making it better, and I just can't rest until I try it out. My dogs are my pets, they're like a part of the family, I just don't see my tanks the same way. I see reefing as a challenge, one which you never master but you always have another idea that will get you as close to perfection as the wallet (and the Wife) will allow.
I don't even see the tank as a pet, I see it more as art. for me the obsessive part is building the equipment for the tank.. once that is done and it is up and running it is a work of art to look at, but requires a bit of maintance.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM

burtonpj48 is on a distinguished road
Default hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder[B
[/b] If it wasnt tough, then it wouldnt be interesting and the rewards in the end wouldnt be that great.
I agree, for some reason all the hardships you go thru with a tank, Is nothing in comparison to the reward you get for how beautiful it is. To be able to look at the tank, and be happy for what you have accomplished