Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

It was $250-350 per dive, and you need 4 dives to get the certificate. Maybe I read it wrong. I know my cousin took the course a few years back and it was $1200. It was all done in a large swimming pool, and not outside. If I can do it locally in Saskatoon for cheap like that I will, but I dunno about diving in the river at -30!

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

hey Mindy My close friend has a dive bussiness here in manitoba in Brandon he is a instructor. I try to get ahold of him for you ok .
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
R.I.P.

pinhead is on a distinguished road

I spent 3 weeks in Bali and I would go back tomorrow if I could. Out of all the places I've travelled, I think it is the ideal mix of beaches, culture and nightlife and shopping for native crafts. I think more people probably go there for the surf than the diving. I snorkeled of the eastern end of the island and although, I saw a stonefish, I thought the snorkeling was much better in Fiji.

Most of the cheap accomodation is around Kuta and the resorts are at the south end of the Island so your contact could probably inform you where the diving resorts are but I believe they are on the volcanic north end of the island which is quieter and a little out of the way.

Once you plan your trip, you may find that it changes from just a diving holiday because there is so much to do. If you are in the Kuta area, you can rent bikes and cycle past the rice paddies to the markets in Denpassar or to the temple at Uluwatu at the southern tip of the Island. There are scores of thousand year old temples all over the island. Some have bats living in them, others crawling monkeys and one is on a little rock island that you can walk to at low tide - watch out for the sea snakes nesting in the crevices.

The area around Kuta has gentle sloping sand beaches with no rocks that is perfect for body surfing or boogie boarding. Waves were about 6 - 10 feet when I was there.

The Balinese music, dancing and culture is very unique because Bali's religion is Hindu surrounded by the Muslim majority in the rest of Indonesia.

Because of this, there have been the terrorist attacks and I believe the Australian government still has a travel advisory for its citizens This also means it is very cheap. There is a travel agent here in Vancouver with a package for air, hotel and breakfasts for 2 weeks starting at $1299. Its a long way from Canada so plan an itinery that gives you a stop over in Japan, Hong Kong or Singapore so you don't waste any time recovering from a long plane ride when you arrive.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
i have over 20 dives completed including a 120 foot wall dive without my padi LOL

But your open water will only be a 30-40 foot dive which is super easy. just regulate your breathing so that your using less air as well
this is just bad advise and poor judgment. But it is a great way to die
Old 12-30-2009, 12:35 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
Ya really x2. But at the other extreme...where did you get the $350 quote? I was looking at $500 here in Vic.

Cheers,
Ogden Point in Vic is offering Open Water for $400 right now http://www.divevictoria.com/

I got mine for $300 in Prince George by Blue H2O Sports. Considering how bad I was at maintaining my buoyancy, how fast I went through my air and how clumsy I was starting out I'd definitely recommend getting your certification before going so that you can spend more of your vacation vacationing rather than schooling.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been lucky enough to have traveled quite a bit in that area of the world because my father lives in Singapore and I would say Bali is quite disappointing for diving compared to some other areas close by. Other than the Liberty Shipwreck, Bali wasn't too impressive. It was however one of the best trips I have been on because of the nightlife. The clubs there are amazing! There really are not all that many non-touristy areas anymore.

Raja Ampat in Indonesia was by far my favorite spot so far in South East Asia. Some really good spots in Malaysia too but not as great for for the rest of the vacation.

Are you guys "stuck" for a month just in Bali? Or can you travel around a bit? I think a month in Bali is a waste of going all the way to South East Asia if you have the choice to travel around. Your so close to Thailand.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Raja Ampat was also MUCH, MUCH more beautiful than Bali above water too. Just stunning. Doesn't have the nightlife of Bali but is much more relaxing and serene.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 12-30-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Ogden Point in Vic is offering Open Water for $400 right now http://www.divevictoria.com/

I got mine for $300 in Prince George by Blue H2O Sports. Considering how bad I was at maintaining my buoyancy, how fast I went through my air and how clumsy I was starting out I'd definitely recommend getting your certification before going so that you can spend more of your vacation vacationing rather than schooling.
Thanx for that. That's 100 clams cheaper than "the other guys" in town.

Cheers,