Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM

wgama is on a distinguished road
Default How to tell if tank has cycled ?

When setting up the tank (90gal+30gal sump) I added some water from my little tank,40 lbs of live rock from a fellow canreefer, it had been sitting in circulated heated salt water,and 15 lbs of rock from the store. I have been watching the tank closely and none of the little creatures on the rock have died. I tested and the water is: ph 8.4 nitrate 0 Ammonia .1 I also added various types of macro algeas. Diatoms are present and growing every day. Could it have possibly done a soft cycle?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgama View Post
When setting up the tank (90gal+30gal sump) I added some water from my little tank,40 lbs of live rock from a fellow canreefer, it had been sitting in circulated heated salt water,and 15 lbs of rock from the store. I have been watching the tank closely and none of the little creatures on the rock have died. I tested and the water is: ph 8.4 nitrate 0 Ammonia .1 I also added various types of macro algeas. Diatoms are present and growing every day. Could it have possibly done a soft cycle?
Still cycling if showing any ammonia, or Nitrite, and should have zero (or close to) nitrates
Old 01-10-2009, 03:30 AM

thanks for the info , Nitrate is 0 and amonia is .1 I will wait till it goes to zero.I expected that the fan worms, little shrimp, sponges, and little snails would all die during the cycle.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

They might still die off... Looks like ur cycle is just starting Ammonia > Nitrites > Nitrates is the order in which each spikes...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-10-2009, 03:57 AM

O.K. Thanks, I will keep testing.