Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 AM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Cant comment on gas, as all electric but Mike should know, he has gas.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
bvlester

I moved back here in 2006 from the Peg the climit is sort of like Carberry Manitoba the winters are far better than Manitoba. I hate those -50's temp days. Taxes I find are a little less than in the Peg. cost of living is a bit less cheeper to heat your house here. the electric is similar. my gas is about $40 per month on equal payments, we do supliment with wood heat. lots of hunting and fishing here many out door activities around Kamloops.

Bill
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Thanks Bill. Sounds like some good comparisons. Hmmm, wood heat. I miss mine. Always wanted a property where I could cut my own.

Yes Ryan, I realize I said that. But he does.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloat View Post
you mentioned you water every third day....better watch it; as the city will fine you if you don't water on your designated day (odd or even)

as for taxes....do your own research....you'll find municipal taxes are among the highest...compared to similar sized cities across canada....and they have continually been going up.
Brand new houses, 3-4 bedroom, can expect to pay between 4-5K a year.
nope I went and talked to the city, and asked them if they were more interested in water concervation or with which day and they said the third day is better and they made a note on my property file about it.

I don't find the taxes that bad, in Leduc they were higher and I don't see how a brand new 3 bedroom house is going to pay 2500 to 3500 more than my 3 bedroom house. Maybe if you have one of the 800000.00 buck houses in the fancy areas but a normal house will be no where near that much.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
yup huge difference we are .0627/KWh

what is your natural gas price in Manitoba out of curiosity.. this is the first time I have owned a house that uses natural gas for heat and hot water ours is 7.94/GJ which is 1/2 the price of nat gas in Victoria.

its funny as my house in vic was electric heat with a gas fireplace and when I added everything up water, power, gas, garbage, ect... we are paying 200.00/month less in kamloops than we wer
e in Vic.

Steve
hey Steve ya i think that its .0587 per KW so its pretty close i didn't think yours was that cheap too. Wow pretty cheap liviing there in Kamloops I didnt know that it was that dry there really when I was up visiting Leah it was humid there.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Why did you pick there from Victoria Steve, if you dont mind me asking.
we for me I wanted to go back to alberta, but the wife had family here. so it was a compromise, but I am realy happy with it, it is a big city with a small town attitude, it took a while for me to get used to everything being closed on the weekends except the big box stores, but there is a huge sence of comunity and lots of stuff going on. there is a farmers market during the spring to fall seasons down town every sat and wensday. very good city for sports and out door activitys. a friend of mine wants me to get a quad so he can start showing me fishing holes.. aparently there are over 200 lakes with in 1 hour of kamloops.

the summers are hot.. damn hot but I love it, the winters are mild with a normal low of -10 and high of 0 but we do get cold snaps down to -20 (lows)

as for where to buy I went with water.. I ended up deciding I didn't want to be on a well so I bought in dallas on the river side. one block from me there is a house for sale for 2.2 mill accros the street therte is one for sale for 280. nice quiet area bigger lots (hard to find now) and a bunch of good niebours

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
bvlester

Steve is in a good area and he is right we have everything needed and with a trip to the coast once in a while you can have it all, Vancouver is only 3.5 hours away. hay Steve Manitoba get stinking hot in the summer and has a tun of humidity to go along with the heat. I spent 15 years there growing up. I do like the summers but they can keep the winters. When i went back there in 2003 the first winter got down to -50's without the windchill. I had to work outside in it, I worked for MTS. Scientists have sed that if you lived in Winnipeg you can live just about any where in the world. it gets hotter than a dessert and colder than Antarctic.

Last edited by bvlester; 02-21-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
we for me I wanted to go back to alberta, but the wife had family here. so it was a compromise, but I am realy happy with it, it is a big city with a small town attitude, it took a while for me to get used to everything being closed on the weekends except the big box stores, but there is a huge sence of comunity and lots of stuff going on. there is a farmers market during the spring to fall seasons down town every sat and wensday. very good city for sports and out door activitys. a friend of mine wants me to get a quad so he can start showing me fishing holes.. aparently there are over 200 lakes with in 1 hour of kamloops.

the summers are hot.. damn hot but I love it, the winters are mild with a normal low of -10 and high of 0 but we do get cold snaps down to -20 (lows)

as for where to buy I went with water.. I ended up deciding I didn't want to be on a well so I bought in dallas on the river side. one block from me there is a house for sale for 2.2 mill accros the street therte is one for sale for 280. nice quiet area bigger lots (hard to find now) and a bunch of good niebours

Steve
Thanks Steve. I was looking at one in that area just the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
Steve is in a good area and he is right we have everything needed and with a trip to the coast once in a while you can have it all, Vancouver is only 3.5 hours away. hay Steve Manitoba get stinking hot in the summer and has a tun of humidity to go along with the heat. I spent 15 years there growing up. I do like the summers but they can keep the winters. When i went back there in 2003 the first winter got down to -50's without the windchill. I had to work outside in it, I worked for MTS. Scientists have sed that if you lived in Winnipeg you can live just about any where in the world. it gets hotter than a dessert and colder than Antarctic.
I,m ok with the cold Bill. I did spend 30yrs. in Thompson, so its actually somewhat mild in Brandon in comparison.

For sure the short drive to the coast is attractive to me, with my brother in Langley. A day trip to JL or Wendall,s also sounds pretty good.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks Steve. I was looking at one in that area just the other day.
which side of the hiway? you have to be carfull as the ones on the south side of the highway stuck up against the valley are pretty shady all the time, and the ones on the north side of the hiway but south of the river still are in the pounding sun all day (it is about 5 degrees hotter at my house than it is down town kamloops) if you go up the hills an out of the valley you can get a winter that is a month to 2 months longer, than the lower valley will have.

if you need me to you can PM me with some addresses you are interested in and I can take some strait up pics of the front and let you know what the area is like.

Steve

Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
hey Steve ya i think that its .0587 per KW so its pretty close i didn't think yours was that cheap too. Wow pretty cheap liviing there in Kamloops I didnt know that it was that dry there really when I was up visiting Leah it was humid there.
is Leah in Kamloops? its never humid here except when its raining. the valley here is a micro climate.

heres a few weather facts on Kamloops

ranked #1 for hottest summer in canada
#1 for most days over 30 degrees
#13 for mildest winter
#11 for warmest year round
#2 for the driest city
#3 for the most dry days
#10 for lightest wind speed year round.

Steve