Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 05-27-2012, 03:11 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

If you've got an actiontec modem, use port 8080
Old 05-27-2012, 03:15 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Apparently it was a carbon based interface error.

It took five attempts to connect via the 3G on my iPad just now, but I did connect. The iPad is the device we were using to test it last night. After each failed attempt he changed the port. I'll test from work tomorrow to see if I get a more reliable response from a computer outside our network.

The notes he's left on the table do indicate that I need to use a different address to access from outside our network: but I mixed that up. That part was my fault.

Edit: We're so convinced that Telus is the Devil that we blame them for everything.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

When I connected, it was instant and on the first try. My ipad sucks accessing my Apex from either side, I wouldn't use that as a test.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:29 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Once you get this figured out would you mind posting some step by step instructions for the rest of us idiots (meaning me). Altogether I've spent 5-6 hours trying to access my apex from outside of my home network. Its been over a year since I last tried but I'd be willing to give it another go.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Once you get this figured out would you mind posting some step by step instructions for the rest of us idiots (meaning me). Altogether I've spent 5-6 hours trying to access my apex from outside of my home network. Its been over a year since I last tried but I'd be willing to give it another go.
It's not too difficult, but depends on the router you're using. You need to forward port requests from web to your apex, so it's called port forwarding, webserver, or some variant of that..

Post the make/model of your router and maybe someone has the same thing, once you know which page to use, it takes a minute to set up.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
When I connected, it was instant and on the first try. My ipad sucks accessing my Apex from either side, I wouldn't use that as a test.
I've been playing with it . . . .my success rate with the iPad is about 10%. Hubby just tried connecting with his BlackBerry Bold over 3G, and that didn't work either. I haven't tried it with my Torch yet.

Do you think it could be a 3G issue, and not device specific?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Just a guy..

No, I connect fine with my phone, or any PC I use. Although I'm not with Telus, but pretty sure they don't block 3G web requests
Old 05-27-2012, 03:50 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

We just switched to Telus so we've now got this two in one router and modem. My previous attempts were with Shaw and a Linksys router. The new unit says Actiontec V1000H. At one point in the past I had someone over picking up a few frags and happened to work with networks for a living. He took a quick glance at what I had done so far and said that it looked right to him. So I must have been close...

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 05-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Just a guy..

Shelley probably has the best advice then, I believe she may have the same router?
Old 05-27-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
No, I connect fine with my phone, or any PC I use. Although I'm not with Telus, but pretty sure they don't block 3G web requests
Works fine with my Torch.

Quote:
Shelley probably has the best advice then, I believe she may have the same router?
Yes, I've got the same router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
We just switched to Telus so we've now got this two in one router and modem. My previous attempts were with Shaw and a Linksys router. The new unit says Actiontec V1000H. At one point in the past I had someone over picking up a few frags and happened to work with networks for a living. He took a quick glance at what I had done so far and said that it looked right to him. So I must have been close...
It could just be that you neglected to reboot the Apex (or something). We made that mistake.

And, once you get it set up you won't just be able to type "apex" into the address bar of your browser. You'll need to use specific addresses combined with the port number.

I'll try to put something together for you. But, hubby made all of the changes while I looked on. I may need him to explain everything to me, and he's working right now.

Alternatively, I may be able to convince him to give you a call. But, I better get the laundry done first.