Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 06:06 PM

Magma is on a distinguished road

mine lasted 11 months and then out of now where one day just stopped. the company I got it from would not honor the warranty so I never bothered with another one. I will probably get a maxspect sometime instead.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 PM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjameslucas View Post
I had one WP40 crap out. Replaced it with I believe they're called RW40. And it started smoking from the cord today. I noticed it wasn't working and when I pulled it out of the water, it was smoking. The plastic has disintegrated in couple of areas. Only had it for about six months. Oh, and before that the new dual controller stopped working so I had to go back to the old single ones for the mp40s. I've really noticed Jabeo products having a very limited shelf life. I'll try to post a video. Very dangerous. And I'm again without a pump. Very frustrating. I'm thinking of not buying Jabeo anymore even if they are cheap. Don't mind the algae. Having a battle right now. https://vimeo.com/127648832https://vimeo.com/127648886

I think that your onto something with the smoking cord.
A "smoking gun" so to speak...
My wp-40 has a off colored cord.
The portion that was in the water, is a grey/white color now.
I imagine that the water finds a crack in the wires plastic casing and wicks its way down to the control circuit inside the pump and shorts it out.

I've looked at modifying the unit to run off my apex controller.
Inside the controller, the dc supply lines are not wired with any sort of consistency in color coding.
My one is blue to blue, brown to brown.
The videos that I've seen rewiring the unit for apex control show brown to blue and blue to brown, yellow to blue, green to brown, etc.

If the correct/consistent colored wires are not used as a method of saving a few cents, how long are the materials, specified in manufacturing, going to last? My guess is no more than to get it off the shelf.
6-18 month failure rates across the board.

Decent design (thanks tunze), but cheap materials are the demise of the Jabeo product line in my thoughts.

I've relocated my much older koralia evo's from my mixing bucket to replace the wp-40 for now.
They have been running strong for 5 years.
The magnets were acting up, but hydor replaced them after warranty. No questions asked. No wait they asked my address and how many I need.
They didn't play games and fail to reply to emails like Jabeo vendors both Canadian and International.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 05-15-2015, 05:30 PM

markjameslucas is on a distinguished road
Default Jebao WP-40 lifespan

Just an update and for the record, I've purchased all my Jabeo products from fish-street.com directly from China. I had a wp40 fail on a different occasion, and they wouldn't replace it unless I paid and $25 fee, so I had to pay for the upgrade to the RW model which is shown in the video($70). For the update, the RW model was still under warranty so the are shipping replacement parts from China for a shipping fee of $15 U.S. So they're still profiting off of the supposed warranty. Better than nothing, but two out of three of my Jabeo pumps have failed in some manner, as well as one controller. Not confidant that this new one will work either.

I agree that those older pumps (hydror) last forever. Think I'll pull mine out again as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by markjameslucas; 05-15-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Most of mine have actually been running since mid-2013 (I think that's when we did our first GB on them). So for me, coming up on 2 years so far.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:57 AM

kooky is on a distinguished road
Default died

My died a couple days ago, had it for close to a year. Killed two big colonies of SPS due to lack of water movement, not a reliable pump. Will not buy again.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 PM

ReefMaverick is on a distinguished road
Default Jaebo

Sorry to say but pay cheap....expect cheap.....
Old 02-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjameslucas View Post
Just an update and for the record, I've purchased all my Jabeo products from fish-street.com directly from China. I had a wp40 fail on a different occasion, and they wouldn't replace it unless I paid and $25 fee, so I had to pay for the upgrade to the RW model which is shown in the video($70). For the update, the RW model was still under warranty so the are shipping replacement parts from China for a shipping fee of $15 U.S. So they're still profiting off of the supposed warranty. Better than nothing, but two out of three of my Jabeo pumps have failed in some manner, as well as one controller. Not confidant that this new one will work either.

I agree that those older pumps (hydror) last forever. Think I'll pull mine out again as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're not profiting.

Those fees would barely cover the freight.

I'm with Seahorse...always been very impressed with Jebao stuff purchased from Fishstreet.

For a Chinese company, I have found their customer service pretty good.

I did buy an LED on a group buy that came broken but I feel that mas more the guy who received them than fish street.