Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Well i grabbed 2 bottles so if anyone else is interested in some?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:19 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

The equivalent product in Canada is Temprid SC, but I am pretty sure you require a pesticide applicators license to purchase this, and you have to do some serious dilution.

The Bayer 'home' product is a ration of 0.72% to 0.36%, Temprid SC is 21% to 10.5%

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The problem is that any insecticide labelled as "systemic" was banned in Canada for consumer retail somewhere around 2002 or 2003 (IIRC). Industrial users are still able to use it but as stated you need to have a commercial license to be able to buy it from Bayer (and even at that there is some question about the future because there are petitions afoot to have those banned, as the active ingredient, imidacloprid, has been implicated with the troubles facing bees).

Anyhow so yeah, I saw this and was very intrigued myself. I'm all for a method of pest control, but my concern here is the disposal of the used water in the end. If we're just pouring it down the drain, how much of the active ingredient is becoming exposed to the environment and having an effect that we might not want to be happening?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:29 PM

I am not questioning your concerns , but the same questions apply to other dips.

I am considering running a line off an ozone generator to treat my dips and medications after being done with them. Maybe a carbon soak as well. Better buried in a waterproof cell in the landfill than in the water?

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:56 PM

sobe is on a distinguished road

I've read about the Bayer as a dip on US reef forums. Just crazy I think, sure it kills the unwanted pest and seem "safe" to use compared to other dips.

But it's an insecticide chemical. That can affect your reef tank if not rinse thoroughly, most are you cant use when frag are still attached to discs. As the chemical soaks in. If I were to use it I'd do a dip and have a seperate quarantine tank for just corals until it leach out what ever is in the Bayer.

I compare this to the DDT spray videos after the WW2 where everyone including infants and childred crossing borders in Europe were sprayed by powdered DDT at the border check points, they were then given a stamp that they have been sprayed so they can cross the borders.

Hey there are other crazy things in this hobby, ie using deicers and bath salts, electrocution to kill unwanted anemones etc.. Just which one you are willing to risk using on your tank is the question is the question.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 AM

I feel you are exaggerating a touch.

All dips are insecticidal chemicals, that is what they are trying to treat, insects.

As well, none of the videos or posts I have seen on this method show (or recommend) keeping the frag plug. In fact they all go so far as to say to take it off.

And people know the potential dangers of these chemicals, that is why the videos and posts are littered with warnings, people wearing gloves, masks, eye protection, the whole works.

Charles