Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-08-2009, 03:51 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I used a rubbermaid trough for my initial large tank set-up becuase I thought it made sense, and I saw it on the net....I have since removed it from use but keep it around for flex space in the event of an emergency. Found it was ineffective due to it's shape, inability in install baffles and clean, and it was just plain ugly compared to a glass/acrylic sump (or refugium). This was just me, but consider making your own sump or buying one.

[quote=michika;408829]I'm also looking at the UFA catalog to hopefully order our final water mixing/holding containers. I'm also trying to find one of those rubbermaid troughs to either look at using for a sump, fuge, or frag tank.[quote]
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Corn....the vegetable that keeps on giving
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

the ufa water bin i have for mixing water might be for sale in the next couple months if your interseted, personally i wish i spent the money and got one the dimensions i wanted but this one was a fairly good price and wasnt a 3 hour drive away, i think its 30x36" and maybe 24" tall
Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

Catherine, another place you might consider is a small shop in Crossfield I use. (Promold MArketting Inc.) They carry a lot of different sizes and styles. Nice thing is they also will either sell you the parts or install custom bulkheads and lids.

This is the 5 gal ATO bin I got from them. I liked the hopper bottom and wall mounting.

This one was already threaded for wall mounting and came with the 6" vented cap (it has a valve to relieve vacuum as the level drops). They also supplied me with my SW storage tank. A black 35 gal RV tank that I stood on end and fitted with a 6" vented lid.

I'm not sure how their prices compare with UFA, but I know they have a wide variety in shapes and sizes. I was checking out their 10,000 gal poly tank the other day....got me dreaming

Francis
Old 04-12-2009, 02:01 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
Corn....the vegetable that keeps on giving
Just because I want to see if it will work, I planted some corn yesterday.

I am passing on the rubbermaid containers as a sump. Dave makes a really good point, and I don't want to deal with the inevitable headache of cleaning it down the road.

We are still going to go with those UFA containers for water mixing and top-off. Crabs, shoot me a PM on the dimensions and we'll chat! Although, if Promold has something that would fit for our sizing needs, I'd be open to reconsideration. Thanks Francis!

I was at RC on Thursday and we chatted more about our stand. The stand presents us with a few unique difficulties in that getting into our basement will be difficult. We are looking at splitting it down the middle into two, with separate stands that would be 18" deep, and then sliding it through a window. I have some measuring to do.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:06 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new tank plans, I'm sure it will be top notch when completed.

Greg
Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Thanks Greg!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Edmonton Eskimo is on a distinguished road

You have a couple different options with your stand. If you make it out of 2x6 material you can save a lot of cash and you can do it yourself on site. No need to worry about weight or time, that is (along with concrete) what holds up your house. If you really want metal make it out of 2" steel tubing and make it so you can bolt everything together onsite. Just some different thoughts. By the way, hurry up with this thing
Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM

So there has been loads of progress recently, but my old iMac and photobucket are like a bad on again off again relationship, and are currently in the "we're not talking" phase.

Anyways we've renamed this tank, its name is Tibet, courtesy of JDigital. Which stands for The Incrediably Big Expensive Tank. I like it!

So everything in the bathroom is gone, no walls, no door, nothing. Most of the ceiling is down in the main area. Plus we had some lovely suprises. Kevin had a razor blade fall on him from IN the ceiling. We also discovered a lot of bad DIY electrical work. Plus we originally thought we could leave the outside walls up, however after seeing some of the great DIY work, I made the executive decision to remove the walls to make sure the wiring is all proper, plus to make sure everything is properly sealed.

So next up:
- Continued demo of the ceiling
- Confirming our tank dimensions
- Ordering the stand
- Re-wiring the electrical and adding in wires for cable, internet, and the whole-house sound system
- Insulating with sound barrier
- Framing out the tank wall
- Demo of the remaining rooms in the basement, laundry room & storage room

I really wish I could get some photos up. My basement isn't the same basement anymore!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:17 PM

I forgot to add that somewhere in that list is a need for us to make the decision between a humidex or an HRV and to get the appropriate quotes, etc.