Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 12-06-2015, 10:34 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Mine has been in my tank for a good 5-6 months solid as well. I'm too lazy to take it out of the tank so I just keep it in there all the time. I just flipped my blade over last weekend. Now it's like a brand new scraper again !

Interesting that some people complain about the magnet not being strong enough. I wonder if that's just a problem with the smaller one ? I have the larger one and never thought that the magnet wasn't strong enough for my glass. I did have to do a couple of minor mods on mine though.

1. I lined the sides of my handle with rubber so that I could grip it easier. Pinching the sides of the plastic was annoying as my fingers often slipped. I probably have weak fingers. With rubber glued to the sides I don't have to grip with my fingers as hard. Having to do this is partly due to the strength of the magnet I thought.

2. I had to replace the felt on mine as they started to wear out. If you ever need to do this be careful to get the appropriate felt pad thickness. I first used standard felt pads I had laying around the house that I used for under chairs and furniture. These were way too thick as I noticed loss in strength due to the added thickness/separation between the two magnets. I eventually found much thinner gray felt pads at Superstore in their housewares section.

Still very happy with my scraper !
Old 12-07-2015, 03:11 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

I think people just need to buy the appropriate size for the thickness of glass. I have the nano on 1/4" glass, it works great (but would be nice to have the stainless blade for Coraline algae). If you use the nano on 3/8" it's almost useless unless you're trying to clean film algae.
3/8" glass needs the long version and 1/2" glass or thicker needs the strong, I think...

Actually cleaning Coraline in general it's best to have a stainless blade, just tried with the plastic ends on 3/8" with the long and got similar results as the nano on 1/4" with Coraline.

Thanks for the felt idea Kien, I think they actually sell replacement pads but your option sounds much cheaper. And I don't have an issue with fingers slipping but I see what you're getting at. Do you use the long or strong?