Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Well we're starting 2009 off with a bang!

Kevin went downstairs after a shower this morning and wow, look, our basement has transformed itself into a lake, complete with a few extra deep parts! It was a freshwater lake, filled from our overflowing floor drain! Yay! Just what I wanted to do on my day off! <--- I'm a little bitter about this....

There is water damage, and damage to my laundry, mostly work or sports clothes. The tank stand also seemed to have wicked up quite a bit, the bottom 2" of the stand is wet, and it seems that in some places the water has wicked up further. I am REALLY hoping that I don't have to dismantle the 180 and replace the stand. Thankfully the tank itself is fine, the only potential issues we see is the stand.

In general the lowest areas have about 2" of wetness, and the bathroom where the drain is located is looking like its heading for a complete gut. I can't say I'm upset, the room needed to be gutted anyways 'cause its going to be our eventual fishroom.

So now we're waiting on insurance, and a plumber possibly. We're trying to figure out if there is a problem with the city's side of things, or if a clog developed today sometime while the shower was running.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

geezus. When it rains it poors. Sorry about the luck Catherine. Fingers crossed
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

hopefully insurance will pay for your new fish room, i think my insurance dosnt cover that for some reason but im shure it depends on why it happened
Old 01-02-2009, 01:36 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

What the heck?? Weird. Sorry to hear.

If your stand is solid wood I don't think there's a problem other than it's wet. If it was say MDF or something yeah you'd have a problem but 2x4's and stuff .. Speaking from experience anyhow, I can say 2x4's and 2x3's and plywood can get pretty darn wet and there's no structural concern other than maybe screws may start to rust.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 AM

saltwater-virgin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
What the heck?? Weird. Sorry to hear.

If your stand is solid wood I don't think there's a problem other than it's wet. If it was say MDF or something yeah you'd have a problem but 2x4's and stuff .. Speaking from experience anyhow, I can say 2x4's and 2x3's and plywood can get pretty darn wet and there's no structural concern other than maybe screws may start to rust.
1+ on the 2x4 being ok after being soaked ... I've become quite competent in soaking my stand and no ill effects to date.

Your having quite the run of bad luck, hope 2009 brings better luck your way. I'm quite envious of your big tank plans; maybe this is all a sign that you need to start that build...
Old 01-02-2009, 03:47 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Let's hope it's the City's problem, or if your problem, an insured one. I can't believe the run of bad luck you've had.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Red Deer Reptiles is on a distinguished road

just wondering this is going to be a sw setup right? did they drill holes aswell. if so what did it cost for the whole package??
Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Well the issue turned out to be roots in the drain pipe, the result of it not having been cleaned in a very long time. It cost us $50 to have a company come out and clean the line. The guy said that he could only make it 70 of the 90 ft because the root system that had developed were too difficult for his machine. He made some changes and pushed through the last 20 ft eventually.

The basement was under 3" of water total, and we couldn't use any drains or the toilets for most of yesterday. Its all cleaned up now, but there is damage to most of the walls, the old front door that was stored in the basement, as well as all my laundry. I took photos and now we need to inform our insurance and then make a decision as to if we should make a claim or not.

After the cleaning and before the plumber showed, the drain is still under 3" of water

This morning

The new reactor

Top down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Reptiles View Post
just wondering this is going to be a sw setup right? did they drill holes aswell. if so what did it cost for the whole package??
I'm confused by your questions. What are you asking me about, the existing 180g or the new system? Our current system is completely DIY, so we did all the work ourselves.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Gawd Catherine! Sorry to hear the new house is turning into the "money pit". Did the doctors know why you were so sick?(pm me) Just wondering if perhaps the drain was an ongoing problem in the house. If there was water damage to the drywall before you bought the house Im sure it was painted over and the previous owner did his/her best to hide it. Maybe there is mold in the walls that caused you to get so sick, is what Im getting at.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm just unlucky when it comes to getting sick. I only ever get sick about once every 3-5 years, and when I get sick, I get really sick. Although I think this is the longest to date I've ever been so ill. I had a cold, then I caught the flu, and then I caught the stomach bug while I had the flu. Oh...yeah I have a cough, its free to a home, any home, want to adopt? I'll even let you hear it it all its seal-like glory tomorrow.

There didn't seem to be any water damage before the first flood, when the tank emptied itself onto the floor. Who knows though right? Its coming down anyways now.