Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-23-2007, 05:29 AM

RicePaddy is on a distinguished road
Default How Many Snails??

I have a 72 gal rr tank. I just added Aqua light 2x250, 2x96 pro lighting about two months ago. Since then I have been having trouble with green algae. I think I have about 15 turbo snails and about 15 blue and red crabs. Is this enough? How many do others use? And would increasing my clean up crew even solve my algae problem?

Will
Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
i got my turbo snails exclusively for hair algae but they wouldn't touch instead they just clean around the corals and sometimes knock them over, thats one thing that i already don't like about the turbo snails, do you'rs do the same?

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 AM

Moose is on a distinguished road

I have used 1 per Gal in my tank in the past it was fine if your having Algae problems you might want to look at cutting back your light period and having that many crabs depending on how big they get could mean trouble as they start to fight and compete for food just my two cents

(150 Gal reef) profilux ll controller, 2GHL LED strips, 2 Hamilton 250 W MH, 5-2' 65w T-5's, 2 6100 Tunze's, RC 135 Euro Reef skim, dual chamber Calcium reactor, marine tech kalkwasser reactor and now zeovit
Old 09-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

In my 75, I kept about 40 or so astreas, and 15 turbos. Could have used more astreas now that I think about it.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:20 AM

This is great feedback. And please keep it coming. My turbo snails also knock over my corals. But my tank just turned a year old and I only kept a few corals during this period. Once I get the algae under control, I am going to re aquascape and start thinking about what goodies I can buy.

Will
Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Jeff_ is on a distinguished road

I have 6 or so turbos and about 4 trochus snails in my 55, My turbos are also very clumsy and knock over anything without a stable base or anything that hasnt been securely fastened. One thing Ive noticed is that the turbos put out a lot of waste and that creates tons of detritus
Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 AM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road
tell me about it, i was quick to buy them because of there size and cheap price but there overly clumsy, this morning i found my finger leather frag in the sand, and nope was'nt impressed at all , mind you it's my fault for not securing such a small piece but i figured out of the whole aquarium why would he have to knock my frag over , but he managed..

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Zero snails. Zero crabs. 10 hour photo period. Algae is quickly withering/gone. Interested?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:03 PM

Albert Doa, please tell us more????

Will
Old 09-23-2007, 04:01 PM

scsi is on a distinguished road

Since I added a Sea Hare to my 80G about a month ago, Algae is no longer a problem, In fact I may have to soon supplement his diet with Nori