Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-25-2017, 05:57 AM

tt101 is on a distinguished road
Default What are these worm like things and what can I do about them?

Hello Everyone,

I have a basic 20 gallon FOWLR tank that currently houses 2 ocellaris clowns and one pajama cardinal. This has been their home for 4.5 years now. Out of nowhere about 1.5 years ago I started seeing these tube like wormy white things poking out of the sand. Thereafter their population has exploded and they cover all the sand in the bottom as well as up the lower 1/3 of the live rock touching the sand. They are about 0.5"-2" long.

I am going to be upgrading the tank soon hopefully to a 40-50 ish gallon tank but I want to eradicate the problem before moving the fish/rock over. What can I do? I'll attach some pics, I appologize for the crappy quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3829.jpg (30.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3831.jpg (41.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3834.jpg (37.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3830.jpg (27.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

They are good , they are part of your clean up crew, check the tank at night they have a tube that spreads out and eats detritus and stuff

can't remember what they are called
Old 06-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
They are good , they are part of your clean up crew, check the tank at night they have a tube that spreads out and eats detritus and stuff

can't remember what they are called
Oh thanks, I didn't know they were beneficial. However even though they may be beneficial, their population has boomed to the point where it is looking unsightly in the tank. I'm considering freshwater dipping the liverock and throwing away the sand when I switch over to the larger tank. I'll just buy some new live sand and reuse filter material to re-seed the rocks.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go that far man you can just put your hand in the tank and rub them off you will get them again at night my sand comes alive with them shoes you have good water and chemistry if the CUC sponges worms and pods are doing good
Old 06-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
I wouldn't go that far man you can just put your hand in the tank and rub them off you will get them again at night my sand comes alive with them shoes you have good water and chemistry if the CUC sponges worms and pods are doing good
I wouldn't mind if it was only a handful of them. But they literally have taken over the whole bottom of the tank. I'm now looking at maybe adding a 6-line wrasse instead of the freshwater dip as I've read they are very good for pest control. The other option (might do both in the larger tank) is a diamond goby, back when I had a 65 gallon SW tank I never once seen a worm with the diamond goby down there. He kept it downright sparkly clean lol.

Thanks man, I didn't know it was a reflection of good water quality! By the way hello from a fellow Albertan!