Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
I totally agree with you, 3 will cover a 180 no problem with way better par reading then the radions on any day of the week. sorry uncle, marko has a point here. I have used it on my own 210 running just 3 units and now its running on my good buddy's similar size tank with only 3 units with all good results.
Sorry I have to totally disagree with you as its no comparison. Markos tank definitely needs more light at each end for my liking but if it works for him thats good! Coralgurls tank has way better coverage as its very very very easy to see that. Talk to anyone that has had both fixtures and they will tell you including myself.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesalty View Post
Sorry I have to totally disagree with you as its no comparison. Markos tank definitely needs more light at each end for my liking but if it works for him thats good! Coralgurls tank has way better coverage as its very very very easy to see that. Talk to anyone that has had both fixtures and they will tell you including myself.
I've had both fixtures and I'm telling you.

Coralgirl's pictures were taken with a flash.

But how about this, you show me a picture of your tank with the radions and I'll never post against you again. Ever
Old 03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I think coverage might be a bit better, but they're less intense. I need more intensity for my tank. Coverage is sufficient with the AIs for my needs.
I also need color close to my radiums. Maybe a bit whiter. I don't need red or green. Seems like a waste of space to me, better utilized for practical bulbs. But to each their own..
I would take better spread as the Radions don't even need to be close to be maxed out so. Currently my 2 fixtures on my 120 are only using 105 watts combined and Jhammer can verify that as I showed him on the weekend.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
I've had both fixtures and I'm telling you.

Coralgirl's pictures were taken with a flash.

But how about this, you show me a picture of your tank with the radions and I'll never post against you again. Ever
I had both fixtures too with a PAR METER also!
There was no decision whatsoever which fixture to sell and which to keep
Ok when 180 is up and going I will take and post pictures. Also some par and power/wattage readings pics to go along as an added bonus!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I had both fixtures too with a PAR METER also!
There was no decision whatsoever which fixture to sell and which to keep
Ok when 180 is up and going I will take and post pictures. Also some par and power/wattage readings pics to go along as an added bonus!
oh so what you're saying is you dont even have a running tank?

so what makes you such an expert in LEDs?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That pretty much sums up my requirements. I'm going to try three on my 180 and see what the acros think

I cant speak Mr. Halide guy..... Good for you.

.....just teasin of course. I look forward to your thoughts on them as I was thinking of buying one or the Radion for my new cube. Or I suppose one more SWC unit to supplement the one I have already.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:23 PM

here you go unclesalty. i took this picture just for you.

think its bright enough?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Well, I see it like this. One of the nicest SPS tanks on the board uses 3 AIs and has the same area I need covered. And at half the cost, it's a no brainer. I would still need 3 radions to cover my tank, and that's over 2500 bucks. $1000 more than I need to spend for AIs.
I have not seen a SPS tank posted here with radions of any caliber to make me think otherwise.
Yes, the radion is a nice looking fixture, it has lots of geek appeal if you like that sort of thing, but I do not believe it is a better light. I believe it is a different light, more suited to a different audience. If I had a ton of spare cash lying around, maybe I'd consider them.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
oh so what you're saying is you dont even have a running tank?

so what makes you such an expert in LEDs?
I have a 120g goin with 2 Radions with excellent coverage. 1 AI didn't cover 1/2 of my 120 tank properly so it was obviously sold.
PAR meters are devices that are used to measure and compare light fixtures. Not accurate with LED's but good for comparing 2 LED fixtures. Par meters are not needed even needed when looking at Radion coverage vs AI spotlighting as it can be seen with the naked eye.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I have a 120g goin with 2 Radions with excellent coverage. 1 AI didn't cover 1/2 of my 120 tank properly so it was obviously sold.
PAR meters are devices that are used to measure and compare light fixtures. Not accurate with LED's but good for comparing 2 LED fixtures. Par meters are not needed even needed when looking at Radion coverage vs AI spotlighting as it can be seen with the naked eye.
i've posted threads with pictures showing the difference between the 2 fixtures proving my point.

why wont you post a picture to prove yours?