Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow, looks great!

What kind of timeframe are we looking at in the above pictures?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the kind words folks!

The stand took about a week to build and the wall about another week. It was waiting for the tank to be built that took the longest but it turned out beautifully I think. I'm waiting for the builder to return with the black plexi that will span the entire back of the tank.

Everything is being done as I can afford it and in the middle of doing renos all over my house so things are chaotic at home. I don't think I'll have it totally operational until next summer or later unfortunately.

In a couple of weeks I'll be able to fill it tho and I'm sure a pile of freshwater to stare at will keep me content whenever the wife isn't beating me up with breakneck renovations!

Speaking of wives tho...mine is truly amazing to be cool with this. She knew it would be big but until I helped haul in the glass I don't think she had a clear picture. Thankfully!

Cheers,

Brett
Old 11-20-2006, 07:24 PM

woodcarver is on a distinguished road

Stunning !!!
Old 11-20-2006, 07:41 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Are you modifying an existing basement or developing from scratch?

I have to do the "from scratch" and the big hurdle holding me up more than anything is I just haven't found the time to get some drawings made up and getting the necessary permitation (electrical, plumbing and development). Did you have to go through this, and how was it in the end for you?

Last edited by Delphinus; 11-20-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

We bought a new house and the basement was just cement and studs.

My wife's dad is an electrician so I had help there. The rest I'm just learning as I go.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:12 PM

littlesilvermax is on a distinguished road

Me likey!
Calcium, Kalk, RO filters, magnesium, Excellent prices
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

A few small updates on the construction front:

- paint and carpet in
- current tank moved from kitchen to basement. wife rejoices!

The tiled pocket in the wall is a wall-fountain and has a 10 gallon hidden in the wall's bottom. It will be run with an eheim 1260. I went through the trouble of exhanging a mag5 that was too loud with an eheim 1250. Plumbed it only to find it didn't have the juice to get the water up over the wall! Doh!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Now I'd like to share some pics of my current tank. It's only been setup for 2 days so a few things haven't fully returned to their former glories (Mushrooms, coco-worm). I've been really busy with renos and quite depressed about my battle with a red hair algae. I spent 4 hours hand-pulling it from a few rocks and the rest of the rock i placed upside down to light-starve it. I also went into a murderous frenzy and tooth-brushed about a million rogue feather dusters that had taken over. I did all my plucking in-tank and simply rinsed my fingers off in the overflow each time. All the algae was collected in a filter floss trap in the sump. I highly recommend this method!

Things are looking up...

In the tank I have:

- frogspawn
- blue/green mushrooms
- capinella
- some green, red and other miscellaneous zoos
- pulsing xenia
- hawaiian feather duster
- pink yuma that I've never gotten to 'fill out' like when I bought it
- gsp

- orchid dottyback
- lawnmower blenny
- 2 tomatoes
- cleaner shrimp
large anonymous crab which i tried forever to kill but decided to leave in-tank when i dismantled it and had a chance to get him. He's been a good guy and has fought hard to stay =)

in the sump is a green brittle star. I was worried about him in the tank after i bought him. crabs were attacking him for his food. I then discovered he's a fish HUNTER. SUMP!!!

Pics in no particular order:

Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

looks great, good job.

my tank setup