Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Ugh... I feel ya. This stuff is the worst to clean as it doesn’t siphon out well and sticks to absolutely everything.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM

CHEAPREEF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Ugh... I feel ya. This stuff is the worst to clean as it doesn’t siphon out well and sticks to absolutely everything.
You ever figure out what it is? Thought I had it beat a few weeks ago but after 7 days of nothing in the sump the 8th day was worse than I had seen it before. :/
Old 02-02-2018, 03:57 PM

From everything thing I have read and Myka’s reply, I believe it is a bacteria based slime. Unfortunately my 150g has a heavy bioload, so it makes it difficult to control nitrates even with biweekly 15% WC. I read a lot written by Randy Holmes-Farley on the topic of carbon dosing and bacteria populations. Yesterday I decided to swap out my NOPO-X bottle and use only vinegar as a carbon method. I’m hoping the combination of carbon sources found within the NOPOX product was contributing to the slime. Fingers tossed that the vinegar won’t continue to boost the slime and it will supply energy to a different bacteria.

I am going to try and take another kick at chaeto in my sump. I’m scared the slime will kill it off though. My wife wants me to fix the slime issue so it doesn’t present in the brand new system. Obviously I want nothing more then to rid the slime as well.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
From everything thing I have read and Myka’s reply, I believe it is a bacteria based slime. Unfortunately my 150g has a heavy bioload, so it makes it difficult to control nitrates even with biweekly 15% WC. I read a lot written by Randy Holmes-Farley on the topic of carbon dosing and bacteria populations. Yesterday I decided to swap out my NOPO-X bottle and use only vinegar as a carbon method. I’m hoping the combination of carbon sources found within the NOPOX product was contributing to the slime. Fingers tossed that the vinegar won’t continue to boost the slime and it will supply energy to a different bacteria.

I am going to try and take another kick at chaeto in my sump. I’m scared the slime will kill it off though. My wife wants me to fix the slime issue so it doesn’t present in the brand new system. Obviously I want nothing more then to rid the slime as well.
Oh right forgot you dose carbon.
About 4 days ago I did complete tare down of the sump and all plumbing, did a really good scrubbing and a 25% WC. I stopped dosing any AA's or Bacteria additive and went with straight DIY 2 part dosing instead of the ATI Essentials. Also go thte wife to stop using sented candles and any spray cleaner we currently use for the next 10 days or so.I have read air contaminants can cause this as well. Specifically cleaners that contain alcohol, there is a article that uses Dr. Tim's waste away to rid there tank of the slime only after finding the source was a cleaning product used by the tank.
I should know in 3-4 days if any of that helps or cures the issue. I'll post back and let you know if I make any headway, this stuff really sucks to clean every week.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEAPREEF View Post
Oh right forgot you dose carbon.
About 4 days ago I did complete tare down of the sump and all plumbing, did a really good scrubbing and a 25% WC. I stopped dosing any AA's or Bacteria additive and went with straight DIY 2 part dosing instead of the ATI Essentials. Also go thte wife to stop using sented candles and any spray cleaner we currently use for the next 10 days or so.I have read air contaminants can cause this as well. Specifically cleaners that contain alcohol, there is a article that uses Dr. Tim's waste away to rid there tank of the slime only after finding the source was a cleaning product used by the tank.
I should know in 3-4 days if any of that helps or cures the issue. I'll post back and let you know if I make any headway, this stuff really sucks to clean every week.
Yes please let me know! I want to rid myself of this goo.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:03 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I don't think the switch to vinegar will help. I've used vinegar in client tanks, and it makes bacteria slime too. You might get lucky though, so I hope it works for you! Otherwise, consider biopellets and run the output right into your skimmer, and you won't get goo.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Well I was fortunate to snag a ball of chaeto (very hard to find in Edmonton now). I decided to completely take my carbon dosing offline to rid the slime. I’m hop No I can still manage my nitrate levels with the chaeto. I left my GFO running in a reactor for the time being as I believe the chaeto doesn’t absorb this at the same rate. My plan is to monitor my nitrates and hopefully they don’t shoot back up. I will play with this idea for a little bit until I get the new system up. If I’m unsuccessful in nitrate control, I will have to put the carbon dosing back online and will try strictly vinegar as nopox without a doubt contributes to heavy slime.

At least I will know if this will be sufficient otherwise I will go the biopellet route with the outlet from the reactor going directly in to my Skimmer intake. I can’t tell you what a PITA this stuff truly is. I will monitor the tank and rest nitrates / phosphates (I will try for every 3 days). Hopefully I see a reduction in the slime.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

If you make yourself a DIY Pax Bellum style Chaeto reactor it will grow Chaeto like nobody's business. Powerful nutrient reduction.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
If you make yourself a DIY Pax Bellum style Chaeto reactor it will grow Chaeto like nobody's business. Powerful nutrient reduction.

Thanks for bringing this up Mindy! I have saw many of these reactor setups for sale online in packages and DIY projects. My thought was it would be good to have the chaeto contained (preventing from getting in filters and taking up less room in the sump). I guess my question is will the chaeto just grow until it hits the capacity of the container? Is it better to keep it contained for more direct light?

I went downstairs this morning after my night shift. My chaeto ball was tumbling away in the first chamber of my sump. Upon looking closer I saw that some of the stragglers made it over the baffle and in to my prefilter. Not a huge deal, that being said is this going to thin the chaeto to non existence over the next while. I want this little ball to replace my need (or provide a good complement) to carbon dosing so I don’t have to worry about chaeto. Also in my new system I want to learn from my mistakes in this 150g and not have to change total methods.

Let me know your thoughts Mindy as you have a lot more experience and exposure to different chaeto setups. I have no issues doing a DIY reactor for the chaeto of this will be effective.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post

Would def watch out running one of these, the LED's wrapped around acrylic have been known to cause stress cracks and eventually fractures. The don't generate a lot of heat but when it's pressed directly onto the surface like that it is focused enough to be a issue.

Tags
slime